Mortar Estimation

Feichiboy

In wall (CMU) material editing I select brick and set brick length 18" height 8" breadth 6" and mortar 2" when i generate material list it gives me the number of brick for the wall but i don't know how to calculate material for mortar. Any info will be appreciated.

I don't believe Chief is programmed to calculate mortar for a CMU or brick wall type, even if you specify the mortar thickness for the CMU or brick material being used.  If this is something that is important for your business, please submit your request in the suggestion forum.

The best I could find is a mortar calculator for bricks (in metric)

================================================

My "search notes" are below that may help in your search.

mortar-estimation program for CMU given a set area

cmu brick dimensions

wastage allowance?  

brick - block calculator  (mortar?)

calculator for cmu concrete block numbers and mortar for a wall area

It would be possible to calculate the amount of mortar.

You could add another wall layer that forms part of CMU layer (but so that it all looks like one layer in plan).

Give that layer material a volume type (not brick) and work out the thickness to report the correct final volume.

You could even use multiple wall layers (sand, lime, cement, water) with other different Material Types to report bags, etc.

Not perfect, but could be made to work.

post-106-0-53743800-1452039593_thumb.jpg

....You could even use multiple wall layers (sand, lime, cement, water) with other different Material Types to report bags, etc.....

Good example.  Shows the need for more than the allowed maximum of 10 wall layers........There is also a need for a true LFt material definition.  You can calculate Lft of any type material, however it is dependent on the height of the wall.  Change the wall height and you have the wrong Lft, which requires you to once again go to Unit Conversions.  It's been a while since I've used the Material definitions, but I don't believe there is a type for Lft (linear, lineal, or running ft, whichever is the proper definition), to where it remains constant.

As far as the brick is concerned, for example:  If 1 yd. sand and 5-6 bags of 70# mortar, will lay 1,000 brick, then calculate how many sq. ft. the 1000 brick will lay.  Calculate the brick using area, a sq. ft material type, then break down to 70# mortar bags, or whatever weight bags are used nowadays, using Unit Conversions......Good luck with your Materials List......needs much work.

post-4719-0-06816500-1452099355_thumb.jpg