How Does The Auto Roof Builder Work In This Example Please?

ladycoralie

G'Day all. I've been watching some roofing videos and naturally I'm having a devil of a time with building a roof on a house I'm working on. LOL. :lol:

Anyway, the one I'm watching at the moment - Chief Architect Roof Design Tips (48 seconds in)- demonstrates building a roof with some of the roof already built - but the tutor uses the auto build function. When he does this, the roof he has already built stays the same. However, when I do it, I lose all the roof planes I've built and the whole thing is built over again and I lose my work.

Can anyone tell me how to use the auto roof build option and not lose my work as this tutor has done?

Thanks,

Coralie

Coralie,

That video was done on an older version and things have changed a bit.

If you have edited a roof plane, it will be indicated on the General panel of the roof's dbx under Measurements as Edited.

You can also manually check this box for any roof plane.

In the Build Roof dbx, Roof panel, there are options for "Retain Manually Drawn Roof Planes" and "Retain Automatic Roof Planes".

Coralie,

That video was done on an older version and things have changed a bit.

If you have edited a roof plane, it will be indicated on the General panel of the roof's dbx under Measurements as Edited.

You can also manually check this box for any roof plane.

In the Build Roof dbx, Roof panel, there are options for "Retain Manually Drawn Roof Planes" and "Retain Automatic Roof Planes".

Hi Glenn, not sure if I'm doing this right or not. I tried to check the retain manually drawn roof planes, but this error message came up. When I checked the knowledge base, they didn't have any information regarding this error. If I check the automatic build roof option, the check boxes for retaining the manual roof planes gets greyed out and I lose the check mark. Would you mind taking a look at the screenshot of what I'm doing?

Thanks

Coraliepost-4721-0-21152400-1451876310_thumb.jpg

If you manually edited a roof plane, this is a warning it will be rebuilt. 

Check Retain Manually Edited Roof Planes if you don't want to rebuild them.

Mixing auto and manual roofs is a bit of a pain. Best to auto build to start, then switch to manual, or stick with auto.

I probably made the mistake of drawing the roof planes manually to begin with. I wanted to rebuild on some of the walls to make a high end gable wall but when I check the auto rebuild roof, the retain manually drawn roof planes is greyed out. When I check build roof and check retain manual roof planes, I get the error message. If I start with auto build roof, before drawing roof planes myself, I get this horrible wonky looking roof and I end up having to delete those roof planes and start again which is why I went the route of drawing the roof planes first. There's probably a lot I'm doing wrong, but I don't know how to resolve this one.

Hi Lewis and thanks. Okay, so I'll try to reverse the order in which I did it. I just haven't had any success doing it that way so far, but I'm willing to try again. I was following the Chief Tutorial because I have a lot of trouble with the auto rebuild and wanted to make some of the roofs he was making on the house I'm working on. I wanted to try to make the back of the house with those shed roof windows on either side and that tutorial showed how to do that, but I got stuck at just building the roof.

I really like the look of the log cabins and mountain homes that you guys have in the States and Canada. They are awesome and not the norm down here in Oz at all. So I guess when I'm trying to make one of those styles of houses, I experience all the troubles I do with roofs as a lot of new houses down here are built with simple hip roofs or shed style roofs and roofs with the pitches, shapes and angles of those log cabins are just so unusual - and of course difficult for me to do with my lack of experience.

Anyway, I'm giving it a go and have attached my plan if anyone wants to look over it for me. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've adjusted these roof planes over the past 2 weeks. Yikes - a lot. I am trying to design one of those arrow front homes. I have never seen one of those down here. Glenn might have as he is a real architect, but in all my travels around Australia I haven't seen one, so they wouldn't be the norm. It isn't necessary to have such high pitched roofs because it doesn't snow generally, except in the Snowy Mountains. I just love the high windows, walls and the great gable roof entries with all those wonderful logs and trusses. It would be really great if Chief made a tutorial someday on how to build a mountain/log style home with all the wonderful decorative features because they may be familiar to Americans and Canadians, but to us Antipodeans, they are like 'Wow!'

I'll put some screenshots in, so you can see what I'm trying to achieve. I should probably just stick to a plain rectangle, but by golly I do like the look of these homes. Some of these shots have that arrow front, Others have those shed windows on either side. I thought about a dormer window, but I wasn't sure if that was the right way to go as the tutorial does it differently by using the room divider tool.  wanted to make a really long one to give more headroom and space upstairs.

If anyone wants to give me some advice about this, I'd really appreciate it.

post-4721-0-44419300-1451884714_thumb.jpgpost-4721-0-44419300-1451884714_thumb.jpgpost-4721-0-03024100-1451884770_thumb.jpgpost-4721-0-36146100-1451884784_thumb.jpgpost-4721-0-29890000-1451884806_thumb.jpg

Cheers and thanks

Coralie

Untitled 2.plan

Coralie,

Sounds like you need to check both "Retain Manually Drawn Roof Planes" and "Retain Edited Automatic Roof Planes".

You can then only check Build Roof Planes and you can't check Auto Rebuild roofs.

I will have a look at your plan now.

OK, just had a look.

That roof is EASY to do with auto roofs - no need for any manual roofs at all.

I could do a Skype session with you and teach you how to do that in 3 minutes!

In the meantime, I will post a picture of a plan and auto roof that will probably take me 5 minutes all up.

The secret to doing it all auto is the correct roof definition on the Roof panel of the Wall Specification dbx.  

It actually took less than 5 minutes:

And I have also added a pic of your plan with the roofs all generated automatically.

I can post the plan if you need it.

post-106-0-09653400-1451890077_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-50673300-1451891149_thumb.jpg

this is one reason why I have suggested that we be allowed

to select a roof plane and say "rebuild this one"

Lew,

You can do this now.

But in practice, how would this work?

Wouldn't the roof just build the same?

What would make it build differently?

And what happens to it's relationship with adjacent roof planes.

Could you please provide a practical example of when and how this could work?

Coralie,

Sounds like you need to check both "Retain Manually Drawn Roof Planes" and "Retain Edited Automatic Roof Planes".

You can then only check Build Roof Planes and you can't check Auto Rebuild roofs.

I will have a look at your plan now.

OK, just had a look.

That roof is EASY to do with auto roofs - no need for any manual roofs at all.

I could do a Skype session with you and teach you how to do that in 3 minutes!

In the meantime, I will post a picture of a plan and auto roof that will probably take me 5 minutes all up.

The secret to doing it all auto is the correct roof definition on the Roof panel of the Wall Specification dbx.  

It actually took less than 5 minutes:

And I have also added a pic of your plan with the roofs all generated automatically.

I can post the plan if you need it.

Wow Glenn! A Skype session with you would be awesome mate. I'll have to go and download it so we can do this. Let me know when it is convenient for you to Skype. I can't believe that you think this roof is easy, and then again I can - because I'm not an architect! LOL. I would also really like to know how to make those window shed roof thingys as well if you have the time.

Thanks so much and cheers

Coralie.

P.S. Can you also post the plan, because I'd like to see what you did too. :)

Could you please provide a practical example of when and how this could work?

Glenn:

you would know better than I

if memory serves I would use the dbx to change settings

then want to rebuild just that roof plane

remember I usually had trouble with roofs and would take the auto-gen as far as I could

then my partner Joe would clean them up

I made these suggestions years ago - maybe things have changed ?

Lew

I could do a Skype session on Tuesday (Oz time).

Where are you located?

Let me know your Skype name once you register.

My Skype name is glenn-woodward

Hi Glenn, Tuesday is good. I'm in QLD so an hour behind you. Would sometime after lunch be okay? I have to go out this morning. I've just set up an account and my screen name is Coralie Allan.

Cheers and talk to you soon,

Coralie

Hi Glenn,  Yep that is me. I haven't used that account in years and I must confess I'm not sure how to use Skype anymore. I'm sure I'll figure it out though. Don't you just love that Koala eh? The epitome of a drop bear. Now I must apologise as I won't be able to Skype with as planned because my friend Susan from Brisbane just dropped in unexpectedly on her way down to Byron Bay and she may delay her trip a bit because of the weather. It is raining cats and dogs up here. If we could do it possibly later this afternoon or tomorrow sometime that would be great. I'm really sorry, but I wasn't expecting visitors today, and she just dropped in out of the blue. We also have the electrician here installing a new fan right now, and believe it or not, we just had the guys from Multi Cool install a whole new system for air conditioning this morning as our old one had the Richard, so today is just full on. I thought I might be free in the afternoon to Skype with you as my Dad was supposed to be handling all of the technical stuff while I escaped to Bingo this morning with my Mum and sister - we won - Woo Hoo, but the electrician was late and now Susan's turned up, and my parents just took off to Harvey Norman, so now is a bit hectic. I'm really sorry to put you out like this. Is later this afternoon or early in the evening out of the question or even tomorrow maybe? The house is just crazy right now.

Sorry,

Coralie

...we just had the guys from Multi Cool install a whole new system for air conditioning this morning as our old one had the Richard, so today is just full on.

I guess my knowledge of the vernacular of Oz is

woefully limited. I can speculate but since it bears

my namesake I'd love to know the derivation and

meaning of "having the Richard".

Coralie,

No problems, give me a call when you are ready.

Rich,

I'm not 100% sure of the derivation (I looked in the Chief help file and couldn't find anything).

But it means broken, useless, and should be thrown away.

Could be from Richard the Third = turd = useless.

Or, **** is short for Richard.

But, you would have to be a Richard Cranium to ask the question in the first place. :)

PS.

Ha, ha, ha, I didn't put those stars in - I've been censored! :wacko:

Rich,

I'm not 100% sure of the derivation (I looked in the Chief help file and couldn't find anything).

But it means broken, useless, and should be thrown away.

Could be from Richard the Third = turd = useless.

Or, **** is short for Richard.

But, you would have to be a Richard Cranium to ask the question in the first place. :)

PS.

Ha, ha, ha, I didn't put those stars in - I've been censored! :wacko:

As well you should be! :P

Sheesh, you could have sugar coated it a little bit for me.

There was actually a Richard Head attending my high

school. And Johnny Cash thought a boy named Sue was

bad.

Now that we are completely off topic, and on a different

subject altogether, I have always wondered how you

Aussie's regard your neighbors to the South in Tasmania?

Are they your good mates, or are they regarded more as

the red headed step children? 

A big thanks to Glenn who Skyped with me earlier in the week and gave me some one on one with the roof issues I was having. :wub: So nice of him to do that. It really helped and I understand a whole lot more than I did before. Thanks to everyone else who helped here too. I think I'm on my way now with the roofs for this place. Fingers crossed. :D

Coralie, you mentioned "not being an Architect" but the truth is that familiarity with 3D roof creation is an acquired skill and I do not mean in University, rather it is countless hours of practice that gradiently increases your own skill. It is similar to learning to ride a bike but after awhile, when you start having some successes along with your failures, your ability becomes more certain and sure. Just stay at it and stay intent.

DJP

Coralie, you mentioned "not being an Architect" but the truth is that familiarity with 3D roof creation is an acquired skill and I do not mean in University, rather it is countless hours of practice that gradiently increases your own skill. It is similar to learning to ride a bike but after awhile, when you start having some successes along with your failures, your ability becomes more certain and sure. Just stay at it and stay intent.

DJP

Thanks David, I will certainly keep at it. I'm so grateful to everyone here on the forums who has taken the time to give me tips and explain things to me. It means a whole lot. I know I'm on a steep learning curve too, but I'm pretty persistent.

Cheers

Coralie. :D