How Do I Build A Custom Bay Window

4hotshoez

Here is the bump out that I worked on manually. I made the foundation wall straight and extended it up to cover the hole after moving the siding walls up. But now the flooring is exposed and I want a built-in window seat at 16 to 18" of the floor. The face cantilevers or bumps out 12 inches and roof extends down.

post-2194-0-68466000-1451864497_thumb.png

Todd, I'm working on a house right now that has a bay window (see image). I generally do all my bay windows manually if I need to be fairly specific and need to have windows that can't be done using the auto bay window tool. In general, I usually set the floor system for the bay window, floor height (raised) and ceiling height before I place any windows or roof. Do not drag up walls for you see what problems you get. I use a doorway to create the opening from inside and suppress the casing is needed. In an elevation from the inside, drag up the doorway from the bottom and pull it down from the top to adjust the inside opening. You can fill the bottom with a solid or something...same for the window ledge on the inside. It doesn't take long to do it once you've done it a few times.

post-66-0-56491200-1451881652_thumb.jpg

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a design I am almost finished with and have done a framing detail on a window similar to this. Mine is not a full-height bay as the client wanted it raised up at the bottom - meaning I cannot use the floor joists to support the outside wall and roof. I was wondering how you guys design the framing to support this window. Do you use a vertical shear panel on the sides of the bay attached to the wall studs (the way I did it)? Or do you use some other method?

Thanks, and my apologies to the OP.

Mike

If you make it a room (manually) you will notice in the materials tab, where you can put any material you want as the cantilever underside material. You can also add it to the floor construction section in the room DBX if you need to add some thickness to the underside.

Mike:

Maybe you'll need to get an engineer involved in your design "IF" the buiilding officials you'll be dealing with don't like your bay hanging by the side walls.  Perhaps some sort of angle braces supporting the bottom will be needed.

Mike:

If you subscribe to Fine Home Building, there was an article in the April/May 2011 issue titled "Structural Solutions for Small Bump-outs" by Debra Judge Silber that reviewed several different bump-out scenarios and how to address the structural issues.   If not, you may be able to find it in your local library.