Cut/trim Molding Extruded On Closed Polyline

JackieDye

I've spent the day watching videos and searching forums without luck.  I have a set of moldings extruded on the inside of a closed polyline that I want to "slide" vertically and apply different heights to.  I can't trim or otherwise slice the molding.    Tried trim on polyline itself without luck.  What am I doing wrong?

post-4105-0-90308200-1451777509_thumb.png

If I understand you correctly, you need to break the closed polyline into one or more polylines and then apply different offsets to each polyline molding.

You can't have a molding with different offsets on the same polyline.

So...are you asking how to break a molding polyline?

If so...

Select the polyline.

Double click the Break Line tool on the Edit toolbar. 

Click on the polyline.

The double click on the Break Line tool will sever the polyline. A single click on the Break Line tool will only add another node to the polyline.

• Upvote 1

Glen,  Your description of the problem is correct.  I did try doubleclick with the Break Line tool and it added a node instead.  Tried converting the Molding to Plain Polyline and doubleclicking with Break Line and had same result.

Alaskan_Son,  it's a really big/complicated plan so probably easier to describe.  I created a swimming pool from a closed polyline using a series of terrain features, etc- including specifically a collection of moldings extruded on the inside of the polyline. Since several objects now have the same boundary defined by that polyline, I put the moldings,  and lines intersecting it where I want to cut, and a separate temp layer to facilitate access in planview editor.  I've tried Trim tool (using the intersecting lines) as well as the Break Line with double click.  Trim tool told me I couldn't trim the object- said the same after I converted it back to a plain polyline.

Glen,  Your description of the problem is correct.  I did try doubleclick with the Break Line tool and it added a node instead.  Tried converting the Molding to Plain Polyline and doubleclicking with Break Line and had same result.

Then you are doing something wrong.

Are you double clicking the tool and then single click the polyline?

What version are you using?

Ah, you didn't say that it was a 3D Molding Polyline.

The double click won't work for a 3D Molding Polyline.

Select the 3D Molding Polyline and convert back to a plain polyline and then convert it to a Molding Poyline.

You can then break it with the double click Break Line tool.  

I tried converting back to a plain polyline -- without luck using the break tool?  Rightclicked on polyline, then picked break tool-- then double clicked where I wanted it slice- and it placed a node.  What did I do wrong?   Also, I thought you could use an intersecting line to cut a molding?

Jackie,

I don't think you have been reading my posts correctly.

I tried converting back to a plain polyline -- without luck using the break tool?

You do not use the break tool to convert the molding polyline to a normal polyline. 

You use the Convert to Plain Polyline tool on the Edit Toolbar. 

To completely break an polyline or Molding Polyline: 

Left click the polyline to select it. 

On the Edit toolbar, double click the Break Line tool. 

Left click on the polyline to make the complete break.

Move the end point node to confirm the break. 

http://screencast.com/t/hZYPqCQlR

• Upvote 1

Jackie,

I really can't tell what you are doing wrong because I can't see what you are doing.

glennw, I clicked the tool and then double clicked the polyline at the point I wanted to slice it

Wrong!

Double click the Break Line tool and single click the polyline.

Jackie,

Follow Michaels instructions (and mine!).

DON'T right click the polyline.

Left click on the polyline and the EDIT tool bar will appear with the Break Line tool on it.

It may not be at the bottom of your screen if you have moved it (mine is at the top under the top toolbars and menus).

It is really the same as the contextural menu that pops open with a right click, but you cannot use the Break Line tool on the popup menu because you can't double click it - you have to double click the Break Line tool on the EDIT TOOLBAR! 

Then single left click on the polyline.

Have another look at my video and take particular notice of the EDIT TOOLBAR - yours may be in a different position - I think the default is at the bottom where Michael said.