To All New Chief Users...

HumbleChief

Run, do not walk, to this great tutorial done By Scott Harris of Chief Architect. Not only is Scott an expert in all things Chief he is also a very good designer and the step by step design tutorial has an amazing amount of information for all Chief users but especially for those just beginning or transitioning into using Chief.

Great job Scott and appreciate all your efforts.

https://video.chiefarchitect.com/?search=Breckenridge

Larry, are you saying it would be beneficial to watch all 14 videos from beginning to end? I ran into Landscaping 2 the other day when I was trying to do a my first terrain and driveway using a road he suggested in that vid. It was getting advanced and hard to follow perhaps because I jumped ahead too soon. That is the problem with the vids they are not project based. I purchased Terry Munson's book. What I like about them is it's hands on projects he walks you through step-by-step. I find jumping around searching for write-ups in the ref manual and help sections and/or vids as your trying to create a model the least effective way to learn so this looks good.  I ended up just throwing down a slab on terrain, good enough for a concrete dwg/quote :)

There are many good techniques shown in the videos. 

OTOH, these videos were done after the design had been completed previously.  As a result, the dimensions and design decisions (floor plan layout including doors, windows, cabinets, etc) were already known and that made it much easier and faster to replicate the design in Chief.

It's much more common to be starting almost from nothing but a general idea.  As a result, there is often a lot of manipulating the wall locations, doors, windows,etc. 

I work with a very different set of procedures, often going thru several Plan versions before getting a finished project.  I almost never know the exact length of a wall while doing the exterior layout.  It's more a matter of knowing the basic shape (which will almost inevitably change) and then manipulating room sizes.

Joe,

I have found that your procedure and the changes made from start to finish as you point out are something I can count on about 90% of the times.

As to Scott's videos I found them a great educational tool and I have been using Chief since ver-3 and found lots of tips I had missed along the way.

Have a great week, Ken