Mixing Wall Types & Control Joint Location?

ACADuser

My next project is 3 story building. first two stories have a mix of thick & thin wall types in the same wall.

The will require pony walls. First floor will have 12" CMU maybe 4" tall with the balance 4" thick maybe 6" thick, not sure yet.

The second floor will need to be pony wall with 4" thick bottom to continue from the first floor & 12" thick to finish off the second floor,

This wall will have a full 12" thick wall on both sides of this pony wall.

And to complicate matters a large window, store front type fixed glass with 3"x3" aluminum frame will cover the 4" wall.

See photo attached.

What advice can I get as to making the window go to the edge / end of the 4" wall & keep the 4" pony wall from JOINING with the 12" wall and making one wall type.

Thanks

post-2435-0-48174700-1451569804_thumb.jpg

The first thing to do is go to defaults under the plan tab and check the box that says ignore casing for opening size.  It will not let you place a window closer than the width of the adjoining wall type.  In your case that would be 12".  If the other wall type is 12" also you can place the window as close as the width of the trim.  You can create equal wall thickness by giving your 4" wall type an additional layer of 8" of nothing.  Just define the material type for the extra 8" as "opening no material".

You may have to place the walls in a manner that notches in at those points.  The floor will build to the outer most layer is sees.  If you notch in at that point, you could create the look of the upper wall with a poly line solid.

Material Region is working.

Thanks

The seams still show but that is true of a lot of wall sections.

Good topic.  I have noticed this is less of an issue of late.  And I would bet if you zoom in or out or turned the angle a bit,  the problem may go away.

IOW,  it seems much better than it has been in the past.

Not sure I follow 100% without a plan, but I would try using a 12" wall with appropriate layers for all the walls and then use the Material Region to cut away a finish layer (Cut Finish Layers of Parent Object) on the 12" thick wall where the windows are (just the width of the windows) to get the 4"walls.

A plan would help - maybe in the appropriate forum?

glenn not sure I understand that cut away process

This is what I am working on, see attached.

Mixing the wall types is ok but when I need some fine adjustment the walls want to snap together when I don't want them too.

Can you control the wall snap distance? When I create the 6" wall and add the window, pull the wall very close to the window edge then I can drag the 12" wall up to it & it behaves.

But you need some working room or getting too close to another wall & it snap together before you want it too.

I need to learn to cut away materiel regions too as that may work as well.

Last picture is a material region before the cut away.

post-2435-0-86418200-1451606792_thumb.png

post-2435-0-76218800-1451606798_thumb.png

post-2435-0-89821300-1451607359_thumb.png

Alan,

What I was suggesting is to use only one wall type made up of several layers (you can have layers with the same material).

The overall wall thickness would be 12" and the inner main layer would be 4" thick.

This wall would be used everywhere - you do not have to use different wall definitions and thicknesses. 

Place your windows and then use a wall material region the same width as the window to cut away some of the wall layers so that you only end up with a 4" layer above and below the windows.

You can stretch a WMR from floor to ceiling (or more) and pass over windows without affecting them.

If I get time I will do a video.

Or...I could do a Skype session if you want a live demo.

You end up with something like this.

Note - this is all one wall (2 layers) with tile section above and below the windows being a WMR which cuts out the external wall layer.

post-106-0-19327600-1451619616_thumb.jpg