Blue Mirror Reflections

keithhe

Go to solution Solved by keithhe,

Kind of an odd thing I see on plans (see attached) is all renders show mirror reflections blue tinted. Most every material, except anything white for the most part, has a blue hue. This happens in all plans, new and old, metric and SAE. Not sure of any settings for make mirror reflections blue? or way to turn that "feature"off :)

Note that they will all Ray Trace correct, just in renders.

Attached is a crap plan that shows the issue and a capture of one example.

Ideas?

Bathroom.plan

post-489-0-07338000-1451253470_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dennis, it helps to know that it does not happen on your machine, so narrows the issue. I think then that I need to figure out the difference between the plan on yours, versus mine. Is that a default setting that would not carry over, or something else? No idea really, not at all sure what is different there, versus here?

IT is just your plan with material change for a couple of the cabinet tops.  My settings are OOB.

May be a video card issue?  You may need to talk to Tech support on this one.

One other thing.  IT looks like the picture you posted was from another plan.  Maybe post that one?

Hi Dennis,

I thought about video card, but not sure how that could change a color? Driver is up to date. The picture posted was from one of the mirrors in the plan posted. This happens on any of my plans, new and old. It never used to, and not sure exactly when this started, somewhere in last year or so and just started to bug me.

Thanks Jonathan,

Yeah, really a mystery to me. I just deleted, and updated my Nvidia drivers, newest driver a few days old. Still see it. I was thinking, is it possible that my "mirror" material got corrupted, and that is the problem? Perhaps I changed it inadvertently? But not sure that makes sense, as they are in the plan, and others are seeing it normally. Also, why just in renders, but not Ray Trace?

Can someone send a box with a mirror in it as a plan? Don't know that it will matter, but at least I can try that. No idea what else it could be? I guess it could be a setting in the Nvidia software that is causing this too. Still not sure......

Joe,

Thanks. There are not many related, or that I know are related, to Preferences (see attached). One I tried, with unexpected results was under Render > Troubleshooting with button "Use Enhanced Lighting". If unchecked, all my mirrors go to Grey, Checked, they show the blue hue in all but white objects. No idea what Use Enhanced Lighting even is supposed to do, except turn off reflections in mirrors, which is selected in other fields of Preferences > Render?? 

Although it might be related to my card, can anyone send a mirror to me? In a plan, so I can see if my mirror material is somehow corrupted. I might have rainbow tooled it inadvertently and that might be the problem. Not sure, just shots in the dark right now. Thanks,

post-489-0-61676800-1451329994_thumb.jpg

• Solution

Solved !!!! With thanks to those that helped me narrow this down.

OK, curiously, although I had my GPU selected for use with CA, somehow that was changed to allow the integrated processor to handle CA. No idea how that happened, but simply pointed the processor back at the CA X7 and back in business.

I post this to help others that may find they have this type problem. Don't assume that what you did can not somehow get "undid". I never checked the very simple solution and assumed my GPU was still handling this, but in fact it was the integrated Intel processor that was evidently the problem. Now I wonder why the Intel is having a problem, but not as concerned as this really was the only manifestation I have seen.

Lesson to me? Don't assume and don't ignore the obvious. Thanks again guys !!!

Can I pick ME as best answer? :) :)  

post-489-0-12438500-1451334888_thumb.jpg

post-489-0-55897600-1451334911_thumb.jpg

Dennis,

I have strained my brain to figure it out, and think that I know how. A while back (perhaps about when this started happening, not sure) I was having a problem with the Nvidia GEForce Experience (NGE) software. Those with Nvidia cards know what this is, but essentially its the update driver software for the cards. Many, many people were having issues where when you went to update the card, the NGE would say, "can't connect to Nvidia.....". There were a lot of people posting about it, and none of their solutions worked for me.  

Eventually, I just uninstalled the NGE, and drivers, then downloaded the NGE and was back in business and downloaded the newest driver. That was earlier this year. I suspect that when I did that, CA just defaulted back to the integrated processor. It was not a connection in my brain, so never went back to re-point the GPU at CA.

A point by the way for anyone when upgrading to newest CA versions, Nvidia will not automatically add the new version to the list for GPU use, so it has always been a part of the New CA Version misery for me.....

Again, hopefully if anyone else has a problem, they can find this thread and find places to look.

Keith,

This is a problem that occurred with the initial Windows10 installation.  I have not seen it except on a Laptop.  All of my Desktop systems worked without a problem.

Joe, not sure what you mean? Are you saying the Win 10 upgrade whacked the association of the Card with CA? That makes sense.

I have not "upgraded" to Win 10, as I have not found a compelling reason to do so. If I had Win 8.1 I would jump in a minute, but my Win 7 is very stable, and not sure exactly what Win 10 brings to the table to make it a must jump yet.   

The NVidea Drivers were not compatible with the initial Win10 installation. 

It may have been that NVidea had fouled their Drivers at that time and you got caught in upgrading the drivers at the same time.  It was fixed after a couple of weeks and I haven't heard of any problem since.

IAE, when Win10 couldn't install the NVidea Drivers it reverted to the onboard GPU's.