Walls - Intersections - Custom Walls - Dwg Imports

Keith_A

I have a plan that was sent from the Architect in a DWG plan file that I need to duplicate and build out. I am having the most troubling time with walls and automatic connections, intersections, and the like. I have tried to do the simple version of no wall layer and just a main layer, tried layers with appropriate dimenions, and I am at a loss. What methods would you use to create walls like this

post-2469-0-59637900-1451179438_thumb.png

post-2469-0-51561600-1451179608_thumb.png

These are all existing Masonry type walls in an existing structure. The thickness varies from 12", 14" 18" to 30". The problem I am having is the wall intersections and getting them to "shape" and follow the lines of the existing structure. I can build the correct thickness wall, but controlling how and where the walls connect is the issue that is the greatest difficulty. I have tried every combination of wall intersection edit handles that I can think of and none of them will produce the proper connections. One the angle bay style wall I have tried every type of varying thickness wall to redevelop that layout. Surface layers aren't an issue as the plans i am responsible for don't require layer details, just placement of fixtures, cabinets, electrical, etc.. 

The wall legends for the existing walls just show Adjust CMU Walls as per plan. 

post-2469-0-93422700-1451324099_thumb.png

post-2469-0-12739800-1451324104_thumb.png

post-2469-0-19370100-1451324110_thumb.png

post-2469-0-15762700-1451324115_thumb.png

Alright - I think I may have figured out a solution, maybe not a proper solution but this is my idea. All the files I received are CAD files in DWG, so when I import them I get CAD lines and boxes. Instead of trying to rebuild the walls in the entirety I have traced all the interior walls with a room divider (that way outlets and objects will snap to them). Then I just filled the CAD lines with Solid Polylines with the proper Fill Style. I am pretty sure this is not the best or correct way but I think it will work for what I need. Anyone have a different idea that may be better? Thanks to everyone who replied. 

Just a guess, but having imported some CAD drawings, I agree with what others have said. The CAD file you have is showing a combination of probably brick (where you see the wider areas) and perhaps siding where walls are a "normal width". These are not a single wall type, different types for how the outer accent (surface layer) is. The DWG is simply showing the bounds (outer and inner) of the walls, and you will need to know what those layers are. This can be done, but you really need to know what those "lines" in the DWG represent. 

Post the CAD file (zipped as CA won't allow it attached otherwise), and the "plan" you are working on. I'm betting we (maybe not me, but one of the smart folks on here) can get it represented correctly.    

Keith_A,

Can you post the Chief plan file, or at least part of it?

Don't worry about the .dwg file if it is a problem.

Have you tried the Edit Wall Layer Intersections tool? 

I think your problems are caused by you using single layer walls which don't allow for many intersection alternatives.