Layer Sets

Paramount

My first question is how are wall and roof layers managed in the the layer set list? For example, while in a full overview how I would I turn off just the siding? The only way I know how is use the Delete Surface tool. If I look at its layer properties I do not see away to control it's display other than rooms that has no effect. 

post-5962-0-47854700-1451145476_thumb.jpg

Siding is part of the wall definition, so you have to create a new wall to get something else. You could also try to paint all the exterior to what you want but I never do that b/c in the past, it created other problems, and some people didn't know how to get the original wall texture back.

I see. Thanks Perry. I was just looking for a way to show people the layered rigid insulation under siding in 3D for example. Sounds like I have to create a wall without the siding switch it over in the wall DBX then switch it back when I'm done with my dog and pony show. Or, use the delete surface tool.

CA does not model the batts anyway, only thing I can think of to get them is polyline solids in every stud bay, too much work. Well for this slow poke anyway.   

I would create a wall material region with the same thickness to the siding, assign it with opening no material and save it in the library for the feature. Then it is like applying it on wall and auto cuts the siding for good, similar to the delete surface method but permanent change and ofcourse reversible if you need it! Just delete the material region in plan and the original wall is there, but I normally use the save as method for this kind of display and the original plan is always on the safe side from un intended changes.

You could also use the rainbow tool (Adjust Material Definition).

Define your wall siding material with one of the Material Classes that has Transparency.

Then in a 3D view, use the rainbow tool to select the material and change the Transparency to 100%.

This will change every instance of that material. 

In this pic, I have set the transparency to 50%, just so you can see the semi-transparent brick skin with the timber stud wall behind.  

Set it to 100% and the brick skin will disappear completely.

post-106-0-70866400-1451171323_thumb.jpg

Yusuf's method works extremely well.  I've been using it since the Material Regions were first introduced.

It will cut away all the surfaces down to the main layer, so if you want a multi-layer cutaway, you can use several different Material Region definitions, each with 1 less layers.  By strategically locating each region, you can get a sequential cut-away 3D detail.

Do you really want to be placing and sizing Wall Material Regions over all the walls in your plan? 

OK for 1 area, but not the whole plan.

By strategically locating each region, you can get a sequential cut-away 3D detail.

Another way to do this is with the Cross Section camera.

post-106-0-47056900-1451257712_thumb.jpg

Do you really want to be placing and sizing Wall Material Regions over all the walls in your plan? 

OK for 1 area, but not the whole plan.

No, of course not.  But to create 3D Details a small plan can be used.  Just like you might use a "Detail Plan" to create 2D CAD Details, you can create 3D cut-away Details.