Need A Recommendation For A Construction Book

447Debbie

I just purchased Home Designer Pro 2016.  I'm going to be designing my retirement home so I have five years to knock this out.  I'm starting from ground zero.  I don't know the difference between 'bear on beams - lap', 'bear on beams - butt over support', 'blocking - in line', 'blocking - stagger', etc.  And this is just but ONE default screen I'd like to complete correctly.  Is there any ONE construction book that I could buy that would explain differences and that would maybe explain the advantages of one construction/framing technique over another technique?  I'm going to need a book that addresses everything, floors, ceilings, roofs, foundations, etc.   I'm sure that once I get this complete I'll still need an engineer to finalize everything, but I'd like to have the fun of knowing what is specified and then if the engineer changes something we'll be able to talk the same language.  

Debbie:

try this one: http://www.amazon.com/Building-Construction-Illustrated-Third-Edition/dp/B004T6RS2Y

Amazon sells used books with standard shipping of $3.99

I bought a whole library of construction and architecture books for under $10

I would buy the older editions and if I really liked the book

then I would buy the current one - if I needed the newer info

Lew

I recently purchased a copy of "The Visual Handbook of Building and Remodeling" 3rd edition, by Charlie Wing.  My father was a building contractor, and I grew up building houses and drawing plans.  So, it is a little difficult for me to step back and see things from your perspective.

The book provides a lot of information on a wide range of construction components and practices.  But, from my point of view, it is rather basic.  Which might just be what you are looking for.  Any more might be a bit overwhelming for you at this point. 

Also, realize that the terminology that you are seeing in the dialog boxes has been provided to you by computer programmers, not construction workers or designers.  So, don't worry so much about understanding the dialog box terminology.  Try to look at it from the stand point of the possible construction practices that may be used.  Then I would think that the dialog boxes may make a bit more sense, at least maybe they will  :).

I've worked with quite a few home owners that designed their own plans. My suggestion is to work with an experienced designer. The money you spend on the designer will be nothing compared to construction costs. By all means draw it up in chief but let your designer help you dial it in. This will not only result in a better floor plan but also will likely save construction costs. The hard part is finding the right designer. Best luck.

Wondering if are any books out there to become an astronaut (same thing)

While I agree with the idea you are trying to get across...I think you may have went a little far with your comparison. Qualified astronauts may be one of the single most exclusive groups on the planet (the best of the best and the most elite of the most elite don't even make the cut most of the time). Contractors and designers...not so much.