Bathroom Window?

Paramount

You could change your space like the attached image.  At the very least I think you have your toilet and sink location reversed,  toilet normally is between sink and tub.

Like this? I am just shy of 3' tub clearance, is that enough? Window 2' x 3'. I found some room in my suite living room, eliminated the cost of a 4th tray truss in the process. Yahoo! 

post-5962-0-03714300-1450634846_thumb.jpg

post-5962-0-53406100-1450634874_thumb.jpg

To add to what TomKen said, I further that to point out that you are needlessly creating two wet walls, and no idea how you plan to get proper DWV through that 4" wall. (see attached)

Tiled tub/or shower, and right window will present little problem and be functional for light and ventilation if you desire.

See above, remind me what DWV issues do I have? 

Not that you asked but?

1. the laundry as you show it will be very difficult to use. The appliance doors opening will restrict your ability to be in the space if the doors can even open fully.

2. Why does the one bedroom have 2 doors?

Its a next gen flex home, a wing or suite in a home. The doors provide access to get to granny, teens, etc..Both homes share this common bath a bedroom. See attached. Moved the washer around I was wondering if that is restrictive too. It's just a small combo unit for the suite, you can see the main laundry in the plan. 

I just slapped some furniture in it to get SF and interior walls somewhat set, now I need to work on the details. 

Keep the plan reviews coming, anyone, I appreciate it! This is my first, only one way to learn in my book by doing, hanging on these forums around some pros  :)

post-5962-0-83900500-1450636573_thumb.jpg

If money would allow it I would do something like this (maybe because, oh! I did do this!):

Bathrooms need windows if at all possible to help avoid mold and moisture damage in my opinion. If people don't open it during a hot steamy shower than they pay the price of repair sooner than later. I drive my family nuts about opening the window when they take a shower. Pet Peeve (I have too many of those!).

post-2478-0-48513600-1450678734_thumb.png

If money would allow it I would do something like this (maybe because, oh! I did do this!):

Bathrooms need windows if at all possible to help avoid mold and moisture damage in my opinion. If people don't open it during a hot steamy shower than they pay the price of repair sooner than later. I drive my family nuts about opening the window when they take a shower. Pet Peeve (I have too many of those!).

How well a window performs at preventing mold, mildew, fungi, bacteria, or one word that takes them all into account microbial's is dependent on the boundary conditions both internal and external, mold producing foods for microbial growth in the layers, heat, three different modes on water and vapor transportation, moisture contents, convective air flows, and other factors. In some climates opening a window for prolonged periods of time can make matters worse, as I said above. Some spores need no moisture "dry rot". Some such as International Society of IAQ have started to tear windows, basements, etc out to study the spore and bacteria growths and related health issues. It's pretty nasty! If interested read the reports on their site. My assembly satisfy's alot of the requirements so I'm not that concerned. It be nice if CA had an interface or GBXML export. 

Joe has an entertaining article on this I attached. Read it and the WUFI website, run the free ORNL, to begin to get a feel for hygrothermic micro and IAQ issues we have. I'm sure you will find that in most cases a window in a moist environment is not a good idea. As I said people love them or believe these myths so we designers/builders are stuck between a rock and hard spot selling point. I have the same issues here in US tornado alley that kills annually, people thinking they are safe in a basement with view and/or walk out windows, when in fact your best changes of surviving one is in a FEMA, Texas Tech tested, safe room. 

I have the same issues here in US tornado alley that kills annually, people thinking they are safe in a basement with view and/or walk out windows, when in fact your best changes of surviving one is in a FEMA, Texas Tech tested, safe room. 

Or not live in the alley? Just sayin......... :)

LMAO! Good point my friend, good point! I'd take VA beach hurricanes over this any day of the week :) FEMA shelters are more expensive due to the flooding too. Nah, second thought I prefer the CA earthquakes, mud slides, wild fires, north heating bills, NW constant rain, high rel-estate $$, crowds, traffic, smog, ....Just saying! :)

How well a window performs at preventing mold, mildew, fungi, bacteria, or one word that takes them all into account microbial's is dependent on the boundary conditions both internal and external, mold producing foods for microbial growth in the layers, heat, three different modes on water and vapor transportation, moisture contents, convective air flows, and other factors. In some climates opening a window for prolonged periods of time can make matters worse, as I said above. Some spores need no moisture "dry rot". Some such as International Society of IAQ have started to tear windows, basements, etc out to study the spore and bacteria growths and related health issues. It's pretty nasty! If interested read the reports on their site. My assembly satisfy's alot of the requirements so I'm not that concerned. It be nice if CA had an interface or GBXML export. 

Joe has an entertaining article on this I attached. Read it and the WUFI website, run the free ORNL, to begin to get a feel for hygrothermic micro and IAQ issues we have. I'm sure you will find that in most cases a window in a moist environment is not a good idea. As I said people love them or believe these myths so we designers/builders are stuck between a rock and hard spot selling point. I have the same issues here in US tornado alley that kills annually, people thinking they are safe in a basement with view and/or walk out windows, when in fact your best changes of surviving one is in a FEMA, Texas Tech tested, safe room. 

I don't know why anyone would leave a window open for a long period of time. Weather/Sun changes on anything is hard. Lets not make it difficult; You open the window, take your shower and close the window. That's just 31 years of experience talking. I appreciate all the studies and believe that they are needed but sometimes I think we over study and just waist time. Window in a shower or not, exhaust fan or not, moisture sensor or not...... When it comes down to it the person using the bathroom is in control and he or she is going do whatever they want. All we can do is give them the tools to help them and move on. We cant make them flip a switch or open a window.

I have a lot of respect for the smart guy's that can do these studies and write all these reports with all the big names that I cant understand. I'm just a contractor following the rules and obeying what is in the code book and I leave it to them. One of the bathrooms in my house was built in 1950. It is in great condition and it has a window with no exhaust fan.

Respectfully

Yep, interesting topic. People will leave windows open for long periods of time depending on the climate. The irony is how well the window surround dries is in part dependent on which way the vapor drive is. If you close it too soon and the relative humidity is higher in the bathroom than outside, drying does not occur in time(24-48 hrs on average or can be up to one week max), microbials will develop in the layers you cannot see with the naked eye that leach out to IAQ causing health issues they are proving.  In high humidity locations (IE: 100% RH, 100+F) may want to close it faster. I have a window in an in a old house too above in a shower that is rotted, no vent...cold winters too cold to open the window. 

So as we build tighter homes (.5-3 ACH) growing very fast in USA that depend on HRV/ERV ventilation systems and as you pointed out "people. which is a big controversy with the required rates to include exhaust in ASHRA 62.4. It now becomes critical the jobs that WUFI and Joe pointed out. 

Getting a little off, just interesting stuff to me. To each their own. It's just a matter of time we need better software as green tight homes develop. The days of putting things together without a complete understanding as seen in 2015 IECC, ASHRAE 160, PHPPUS, will be gone in part due to the law suites that are already happening and Joe points to. We are going to need some good E&O as Designers/Engineers. I know ppl don't want to hear it or ignore them but search the net. 

too much analyzing for me. It can drive you nuts.

I agree but I really appreciate the passion that Terry has for this subject!

Everybody cant know everything and have the time to analyze everything. We have to pick our poison and be an expert about it so each one of us can share what we learn in a nut shell to get it all to work together somehow.

Anyway to answer the original question. I don't like the window to be up so high but sometimes we don't have any other options because of money or limited space. Only my opinion.