Creating Mezzanine, Floor Structure Is Still Showing In Walls Of "open Below" Rooms.

HaywardVT

Go to solution Solved by Joe_Carrick,

I'm creating a mezzanine that's open to the garage area in a fire station, so on the second floor I have that garage area set to "open below." In this tutorial video (http://www.chieftutor.com/scotthall4/mezz1.html) when Scott sets a room to "open below" the space for the floor structure disappears, but mine is still there and it shows through the garage doors. I've even tried setting the floor and ceiling structures to 0" but it's still there. I don't know how because it's all the same room, but I just had it so only the smaller area of the garage was showing the floor structure and the larger part had solid walls going to the ceiling. I don't know what changed it back either.    

post-8426-0-61104600-1450293374_thumb.png

This shows the floor structure between the red lines, shouldn't it not be there if the room is set to "open below"? There isn't even a floor there.

Fire house 5334_SF___2.plan

• Solution

There are a couple of possibilities:

1.  Make the Garage just 1 Floor with the Ceiling Height equal to the 2nd Floor Ceiling of the rest of the structure.

2.  Make the Exterior Walls  at the Garage "Balloon Thru".

#2 is the best solution IMO.  You only have to do that for one wall.  Chief will take care of the rest.

post-47-0-31014200-1450295696_thumb.jpg

Actually, I just noticed you don't have a exterior wall made up of multiple sections (not 1 wall profile), but you are running a secondary wall manually partially around the perimeter. I dont have a fix for you at this point other than to say you'd probably solve part of your issue making a wall profile that contains all the layers you need/want...and not have multiple wall lines running together and parallel.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02944/defining-a-new-wall-type-in-x7.html

(added)

in fact, I just deleted the secondary wall and it turned on balloon frame (see Joe's comment) and it fixed the issue.  Your main issue I think is that other wall line you are running parallel with the exterior walls.  CA is trying to place a wall platform under that wall.

I went to check ceiling heights and there weren't any negative values, I must have already fixed that. I went around setting both exterior and interior walls to "balloon through," I saw some things change but the floor structure is basically still there.

"Make the Garage just 1 Floor with the Ceiling Height equal to the 2nd Floor Ceiling of the rest of the structure." I tried this before and it seemed easier to just make the 2nd story grage space "open below." I'm going to try it again right now, so I might figure it out before I get a response, but my 2nd floor plan would just show the mezzanine walls, right? I was originally worried that my 2nd floor plan would be a messy combination of attic walls and the mezzanine, but now I don't see why the 1st floor walls can't just go up to the 2nd floor ceiling.

The way you suggested building the walls, Johnny, was how I originally tried making double stud walls in CA, but there are framing issues. I don't remember exactly what was going wrong but a lot of other CA users were saying that only the main layer gets framed, even if the interior wall material is set to have studs too. How I built the walls here is what they suggested is the best way to build a double stud system in CA for now. 

It could be that that problem was only in previous versions of CA (I'm using X7), and I was having a different problem and just assumed that whatever problem I was having was the one others were mentioning; CA not being able to frame the interior wall layer of the double stud wall properly.

Does anyone know of the framing problem I'm talking about? I'm really hoping I just misunderstood something the first time I tried framing a double stud. Defining an exterior wall to have a framed interior wall as one of it's layers seems like it would be the easiest and best way to create a double stud wall.

I just did some experimenting and didn't have a problem framing a double stud in a single wall type. I may have had the interior wall as an interior layer instead of a main layer, I'm pretty sure CA only frames main layers.

I was able to fix my original problem with the floor structure in the walls, removing the "open below" room so the mezzanine was the only room on the 2nd floor worked. Thanks for the help guys.