Do You Use The Space Planner?

Joe_Carrick

Space Planner  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the Space Planner

I've been experimenting with the Space Planner (not the Room Planner App)  and have found it useful but in a some ways limited.  

1.  The Room Boxes can only be rectangular

2.  Rooms don't allow for Ceiling and Floor Elevations to be edited

3.  Once converted to Walls (Build Floor) the Room Boxes can be toggled back on but they do not reflect the current wall locations that have resulted from edits to the Floor Plan

4.  Fills are not automatically transparent so current walls, stairs, etc tend to be hidden, making it difficult to edit the Room Boxes to match the Floor Plan.

OTOH, I find that there is an advantage to using this tool to quickly get a basic configuration on each Floor.

Sherry, 

I found that you can make a room larger and then superimpose another room to "notch out" a corner to create an "L" shape of the underlying room.  I would really prefer that the "Room Boxes" could be broken and shaped.  IAE, once "Build Floor" is selected the walls can be edited.

I still think it's a pretty good way to get a basic floor layout.  OTOH, it wouldn't bother me - in fact I would prefer - if it didn't put any doors in since they usually aren't what I want and I just have to change them.

BTW, I prefer to have the overall Floor (Exterior Walls) as a guide/constraint to placing the Room Boxes.

I use it ALL THE TIME...but mostly to get a general layout of rooms (similar to a bubble diagram).

I then manually draw all of my interior walls...

I agree 100% that you should be able to break and do different shaped rooms.

What Jonathan said - this is the way I do it also. I use it for a large number of my projects. I like the simplicity of the bubble diagrams (the way I use it) but don't like the fact that they automatically attach themselves together - I am not going to build straight walls from them. I, too, don't like the fact that their shapes are not editable like other polylines. But it is a tool I use all the time.

Mike