Ca X7 And Boxed Eaves

HamlinBC

Downloaded it and it's a tough one ,looks like a bug. send it in I tried separating the roof planes, not sure what it is. maybe someone else can do it. Should be something easy if it isn't a bug.

Scott I see it in X7

Good it works in an apple machine.

Downloaded it and it's a tough one ,looks like a bug. send it in I tried separating the roof planes, not sure what it is. maybe someone else can do it. Should be something easy if it isn't a bug.

Scott I see it in X7

Good it works in an apple machine.

Interesting,  I saw it in x7 but it's good in x8

post-50-0-80998100-1450129196_thumb.png

I think the reason CA does that is because you would never frame this way in reality. Why would you build one roof on top of another, and what will carry that roof load when it lands in the mid span of the main roof. You have an open kitchen below and the rest is the bedrooms. You have overall rafter length almost 20' and you dropping porch roof right on top of it. Maybe CA thinks there should be a ridge beam and that is why it comes out that way.

IMO this is not a bug, because if you frame that roof as you would frame it normally in a situation like this, CA does what it suppose to do... But what do I know  ;)

post-4069-0-62579500-1450132594_thumb.jpg

post-4069-0-22211900-1450132607_thumb.jpg

I think the reason CA does that is because you would never frame this way in reality. Why would you build one roof on top of another, and what will carry that roof load when it lands in the mid span of the main roof. You have an open kitchen below and the rest is the bedrooms. You have overall rafter length almost 20' and you dropping porch roof right on top of it. Maybe CA thinks there should be a ridge beam and that is why it comes out that way.

IMO this is not a bug, because if you frame that roof as you would frame it normally in a situation like this, CA does what it suppose to do... But what do I know  ;)

Greg ,here we call it California overbuild framing an it's done a lot. In fact , that's the only way you can build it here without putting in extra beams. Weather you put a beam in or not, won't make any difference here. Chief isn't that smart. I still think its a bug.

You right Perry, I see it on decks here. etc you attach a simple deck to a house it will put 8 footings where in reality you would need 3-4... As this little dilemma goes, it could be a bug.... But it seems in some situations and I see a lot on the plans that some guys post in here, that if you try to build something the way you would never do it in reality, something gets screwed up along the lines, whether this being a roof, attic wall or something else.  

Just to catch up, we strictly use trusses around here....for everything, and although this type of roof ISN'T common, we've done it before and this issue hasn't come up in the past.  That would actually be one truss (with the kink in it).  It would bear on the two walls and cantilever over the porch. Then they would frame a fake eave coming down to make it look like two trusses.

On occasion someone will have a roof that needs handframed, but otherwise no.

@Bill...not really sure what you mean.  They've been mated, snapped, etc...and still shows.

@Glenn...I was able to drag the roof to the framing layer, and it went away.  But then I had to drag and mess with the wall to make it cover the gaping holes in the wall.

What's more peculiar, is that the opposite side doesn't do that.

post-237-0-82264100-1450189277_thumb.png