Maximum Number Of Wall Definition Layers?

rlackore

I seem to have run into a maximum number of layers in a wall definition. I searched the X7 Reference Manual but couldn't find a mention of the maximum number of layers allowed. See the picture below, and note that the Insert Below and Insert Above buttons are grayed out. Has anyone else run into this limit?

post-95-0-46657200-1450113454_thumb.png

I seem to have run into a maximum number of layers in a wall definition. I searched the X7 Reference Manual but couldn't find a mention of the maximum number of layers allowed. See the picture below, and note that the Insert Below and Insert Above buttons are grayed out. Has anyone else run into this limit?

attachicon.gifwalldefbox.PNG

Sorry.....wish there were more and have been asking for years now, but so far, no go.........10 is max.

• 4 years later...
On 12/14/2015 at 11:17 AM, rlackore said:

post-95-0-46657200-1450113454_thumb.png

Still need a few more layers!

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, MPDesign said:

I would propose that you should have 2 walls in that assembly. Interior energy wall and your foundation wall.

Model it like you build it!

Wow, my post was from 2015, using X7!

There are situations when using a furred wall leads to problems, especially in plans that have a lot of angles and difficult intersections. Sometimes I'll roll the furred wall into the "whole" wall definition, which is what Chief recommends in their reference manual:

furred.thumb.PNG.6e4a950e6bb5aefa4c8654ba061b947c.PNG

As far as modeling like it's built, I don't think that is always a valid paradigm. Chief often requires us to use modeling techniques that provide the desired output, regardless of the "real world" sequence of construction. Heck, if I could model everything like it's built, there would be little need for the plethora of work-arounds that have been suggested in these forums.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rlackore said:

As far as modeling like it's built, I don't think that is always a valid paradigm

It's one I suggest , at least for the 1st attempt ;)  , however as noted it does not always work 100% of the Time....

* don't forget to add you +1 to the Suggestion for more Layers in that Forum too.....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/25997-need-a-few-more-wall-layers/?do=findComment&comment=208782

+1 for more layers when needed.... but in all sincerity I have to wonder why it's important to model all these layers in an existing condition?   My understanding for having all these layers modeled in a wall definition is really only so that Chief can provide valuable schedule information for material take-offs, but you're not going to need that info for existing walls?  Are you proposing building new walls to match?  For building sections a few notes should provide the level of information necessary rather than spending the time to input all that layer info?  

33 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

but in all sincerity I have to wonder why it's important to model all these layers in an existing condition?

Why do you assume this was for an existing condition? It was new construction. At the time (the original post was in 2015), I was only two versions into Chief (I started with X5), and I hadn't refined my workflow. But, as you noted, if you want as accurate a material take-off as possible, you need all the layers. Nowadays, since I don't use the material list, I've simplified my wall definitions, but at the time the layers were relevant.

18 minutes ago, rlackore said:

Why do you assume this was for an existing condition? It was new construction. At the time (the original post was in 2015),

Ahh!...okay sorry about that!  Ya, it wasn't quite an assumption because I had first read something about modeling existing conditions... but then on a later visit to your post I noticed comments that the original post was 2015, but those were two separate visits to this post and I hadn't put together it was for a different circumstance.  Cheers.

45 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Ya, it wasn't quite an assumption because I had first read something about modeling existing conditions

That was me in the Suggestion (Forum) Post , I had a walls in an Old Commerical Building we found had 12 layers after Destructive investigation

asked for by the City and Engineer.

M.