How Do You Create Your Site Plans?

HumbleChief

How Do You Create Your Site Plan?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Create Your Site Plan?

• Using Anno/Layer Sets to create separate layer for your site plan?
    • Using the 'Plan Footprint' and CAD detail method as illustrated in traning video 5480?
    • Other

Hi Larry,

Thanks again. No, I'm quite comfortable with layers and layer sets. Perhaps make too many, as I want to have ability to turn everything on or off if I want. I'm also familiar with the "Edit > Edit Area > Edit Area (all floors) and have had mixed results. Even with everything else locked, I have watched some CAD lines *setbacks" move, which was really confusing, as they were locked. I can fix those, but in rotating the plan, I have found that the walls are really a mess sometimes. A Point to point move, if orientation remains the same, usually works fine, but rotating has been really problematic. Hard to explain but walls will look like "Z" saw blades now that they are at an angle to original orientation. Regardless of if I use Edit Area tools, with transform replicate, or rotation handles.

A lot of good information here by many, and I appreciate it, and apologize for any highjack of the thread. I think I will set up a trial plan, and go through what has been provided and see what happens.    

I always set up the site plan as one of the first things I do, and never move the house, just the property line which is a cad box so very easy to move by changing the dimension's. Same with a new house.

Perry,

Can the other site information also be added to this? Say the elevation data, which in most cases I have. I'd like to have that move, with all other fixed items, like roads, property lines, setbacks, and if applicable, symbols of other items?

I use a Layerset that has all layers locked except the Site (Terrain, Property Lines, Setback Lines, etc.).  If a Terrain Feature is more related to the House (driveway and sidewalk connecting to the house, etc) then they are placed on a layer that is locked.  Otherwise on a layer that's not.

Then I can block all the Site Objects and move as a single object.  Once I have it where I need it I can unblock.  There's almost always something that needs to be adjusted afterwards but this is the easiest for me.  Several years ago I had a project where there was a 50' utility easement adjustment that had not been reported and the house needed to be moved about 63' north.  It was much easier to move the Site using the above method. :D  I just moved the CAD Block with the mouse until I had it where I wanted it.  It was a steep hillside and the house automatically adjusted to the new location on the terrain.

Joe,

I think this just said exactly what I've been wanting to do, just unsuccessfully so far. I want the ability to lock everything site related, to include all terrain elevations, features, roads, property lines, setbacks, and have house stay put. If changes are made to house, I could simply move the grouped "site" stuff as needed to accommodate, and hopefully all those pieces stay locked relative to one another. Not sure how that impacts layouts, but I'll figure this part out first.  

Perry,

Can the other site information also be added to this? Say the elevation data, which in most cases I have. I'd like to have that move, with all other fixed items, like roads, property lines, setbacks, and if applicable, symbols of other items?

Yes, what Joe said. You might have to adjust things after though.

I use the plan footprint and then rotate the plan in there so north is up. To get the upper roof planes to show I have a "Roof Planes Only" layer set that I send to a cad detail, change those lines to a layer that is only in my "Plan Footprint" layer set, then copy and paste holding position back into the plan.

Larry,

I think those Edit Area problems may have to do with your Marquee Selection settings.

Is yours set to Select Intersected Objects?

Hey Glenn,

It's behaving (badly) as if intersected objects is selected but if you look at the tool bar you can see the middle icon 'contained objects' is selected.

I'm also familiar with the "Edit > Edit Area > Edit Area (all floors) and have had mixed results. Even with everything else locked, I have watched some CAD lines *setbacks" move, which was really confusing, as they were locked...  

I think this is a bug. Edit Area should NOT move CAD lines. I saw it happen as well, but only sometimes in certain cases - not right.