How Do You Create Your Site Plans?

HumbleChief

How Do You Create Your Site Plan?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Create Your Site Plan?

• Using Anno/Layer Sets to create separate layer for your site plan?
    • Using the 'Plan Footprint' and CAD detail method as illustrated in traning video 5480?
    • Other

Was wondering what method Chiefers are using.

EDIT: Do you find a specific advantage to one method over the other?

I've used both and am using the plan foot print CAD detail method currently but never found a real down side to using Layer/Ann Sets other than a dimension conflict when needing decimal dims for the site plan and fractional dims for the floor plan..

Larry, I'm one of them, and mine sucks, so you really don't want to know, unless you are looking for an aneurysm. I'm very much interested in a follow up to this poll that has people weighing in on the pros and cons of each. I need a way to work house ideas and easily drop them on a predetermined site plan where I can more easily move it around within setbacks. I've come to the conclusion, and I don't do this much, that it would be easier to move the site plan, then the house. Either way, ability to develop multiple house idea plans, drop intact into the site plan, move as needed without everything getting whacked. Or, as I think makes more sense, bring a CAD site plan, with everything that is known and locked, and move it around the house.    

Using a reference set in the site plan is very important to me, b/c I like to show the roofs (all story's) on it. Here we have to show all overhangs on the site plan and how far they are to the property lines for fireproofing the eaves if needed. Also some cities count the overhang as lot coverage.

Using a reference set in the site plan is very important to me, b/c I like to show the roofs (all story's) on it. Here we have to show all overhangs on the site plan and how far they are to the property lines for fireproofing the eaves if needed. Also some cities count the overhang as lot coverage.

This seems to be the main upside to using Layer Sets/Anno Sets for your site plan.

Using the plan foot print allows for the first floor roof planes to show by turning that Layer on but not the second floor roofs via ref sets.

The only real upside I can find with the plan footprint is that 2 different dimension formats can be used. Decimal feet in the plan footprint CAD detail for complex site plans that need survey information, and fractional inches in the floor plan. When using floor plans Layer Sets Ref Sets etc. there is only one dimension format available.

Both methods have a 'live' footprint but Anno/Layer Sets seems much more flexible but can't access 2 dimension formats if needed.

Larry, I'm one of them, and mine sucks, so you really don't want to know, unless you are looking for an aneurysm. I'm very much interested in a follow up to this poll that has people weighing in on the pros and cons of each. I need a way to work house ideas and easily drop them on a predetermined site plan where I can more easily move it around within setbacks. I've come to the conclusion, and I don't do this much, that it would be easier to move the site plan, then the house. Either way, ability to develop multiple house idea plans, drop intact into the site plan, move as needed without everything getting whacked. Or, as I think makes more sense, bring a CAD site plan, with everything that is known and locked, and move it around the house.    

Keith,

You can create a CAD outline (won't be live) any time from any floor plan and paste into any site plan and move around to locate home(s) on the site plan.

Hi Larry,

Yes, I did know that, but say you are moving along on a live plan, on site plan, and a change that is made (say a larger garage) means now you are over your setbacks. Or sloped lot, and determination is to move one way or another to better accommodate. I just want a quick way to move a house around without everything getting messed up. I suspect there is, just not the way I'm doing it.  

You can use Anno Sets and Layer Sets to show just your site plan and current floor plan with as many layers and details as you need. Then when you enlarge the garage in the floor plan Anno/Layer Set just switch to the site plan Anno/Layer Set to see the effect.

Sounds way more complex than it is in practice.

Larry and Perry,

Agreed, I have not been utilizing the Anno/Layer sets as much as I should, and frankly still have a bit of a learning curve on that front. Prior to Larry's survey, I was researching a better way, so this post was timely. Would love to see a video, of a simple (very simple) plan that would walk through this.

See if this helps Keith,

I went really quick and if you don't understand Anno and Layer Sets this may not help much but let me know if you don't get Anno/Layer Sets and I'll walk a little slower through another real simple example. The Anno/Layer Set technique is way more flexible than plan foot prints IMO.

Don't forget you can lock layers as well in any layer set to keep things where you want them.

Keith:

I prefer to have a plan for each building on the site

and a master site plan with all the terrain features needed

then I create a 3D symbol of each building and store them in the library

then I add those symbols to the master site plan and easily adjust as needed

if I make changes to a building it only takes a few minutes to recreate and place

the new 3D symbol

Lew

Larry,

Thank you !! That did help a lot, and I'll go back and watch a few more times. What I could not tell, given your example at about the 2 minute mark, was if (example) garage changes, and now you are over the setbacks, another option was there was room on the "east side" still. If you move the house plan to the right, does the live house move accordingly? Or, if enlarging the garage, as you showed, does that change the live house? I keep thinking that I want to move an already set up site plan, around the house plan. That way, if anything changes, I can simply move the site plan, rotate it, whatever to make the footprint stay in the setbacks. 

I'll need to play with some sample basic plans and see what happens. I have no problem setting up even complex site plans, setbacks, terrain elevation data, etc.... I just want to have a way to work a house plan into the setbacks, and not get screwed if something changes and now I have to spin it, add to it, etc... Not sure which way is better for that, but it is certainly not my way, which is best described as a modified plan footprint method.
Not sure if I'm explaining this right, but has been something that has plagued me for a while, and hoping to find a better method. I know that any moving of the house, proper, really screws things up, so the moving of the entire site plan, elevations, everything, makes more sense to me.

Keith:

I prefer to have a plan for each building on the site

and a master site plan with all the terrain features needed

then I create a 3D symbol of each building and store them in the library

then I add those symbols to the master site plan and easily adjust as needed

if I make changes to a building it only takes a few minutes to recreate and place

the new 3D symbol

Lew

Hi Lew,

Agreed, I already do this, where needed. I even have docks, neighbor's homes, occasionally just as symbols. But, I do want the project house live, so I can see what the other "symbols" look like, as in a project where view, or terrain, or houses might impact the best location, I want to be able to see what can be seen through windows, for example. I, again by example, I have house way up hill, and neighbors house would wreck the view, I might move it down some (within setbacks) to see impacts.  

Here is an overview of reference sets

http://screencast.com/t/78WcvboE

Perry,

Thank you. I think, and this might be part of the problem in my explanation, that once a plan is set in stone, getting everything to play well together is easy enough. My problem is through the development process where absolutely nothing is set in stone. If you have a last minute change from client in your plan there, which looks great by the way, and that change meant moving the house within the setbacks, could you easily do that? I know that is a preexisting house, but if it was a new plan? How hard would it be to move the house over 8'.or spin it, within setbacks?   

Thank you Perry. I think I'll just delete my reference manual because there is no way I could have figured this out reading it. If it was paper instead of on my iPad, a roaring fire would at least make me feel better after wasting so much time.

I always do a site plan and basic boxed in house first too. Setback and height requirements can be really tight on many lots.

I use a Layerset that has all layers locked except the Site (Terrain, Property Lines, Setback Lines, etc.).  If a Terrain Feature is more related to the House (driveway and sidewalk connecting to the house, etc) then they are placed on a layer that is locked.  Otherwise on a layer that's not.

Then I can block all the Site Objects and move as a single object.  Once I have it where I need it I can unblock.  There's almost always something that needs to be adjusted afterwards but this is the easiest for me.  Several years ago I had a project where there was a 50' utility easement adjustment that had not been reported and the house needed to be moved about 63' north.  It was much easier to move the Site using the above method. :D  I just moved the CAD Block with the mouse until I had it where I wanted it.  It was a steep hillside and the house automatically adjusted to the new location on the terrain.