Distributed Object Spline Or Poly Height

keithhe

Go to solution Solved by Dermot,

I'm trying to figure out a way to add rip-rap along a lake front. The idea of using the distributed object tools occurred to me, but I can not control the vertical height of the line and thus the objects? Nothing in the dbx to control height and the transform/replicate will only change in X and Y, but not Z axis.

I suspect I'm missing something as I've always been able to change height of objects, but in this case it is technically a line or path.

I saw this thread, and Scott's video within it, but does not speak to this issue.http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?57017-Michael-s-distribute-along-a-line-videos-by-dsh&p=418106#post418106

See attached cross section. The line draws there, at ground height (cliff edge), but no way to lower the line.

Thanks,

Keith

post-489-0-30710100-1450022776_thumb.jpg

Never tried this but seems like you could manipulate the Z value of several objects (rocks) and then block them (???) and then try doing a distribution.  Then if you want to do away with any repetitive scaling, go in and manually manipulate the positions (X,Y) and height (Z) as desired.  If you can't use distribution for the blocked items, then just try copying them and follow up with the same manual manipulation to get rid of tiling effects so that your stones look more or less randomly distributed.  Probably a lot of work but sometimes that is what it takes to make things look good.

Thanks Curt,

I'm always experimenting with things to gain a better understanding of what I can do, and particularly easier, or faster. In this case, given shore line, randomly placing rip-rap, piece by piece ( I have 8 different pieces from 3D Warehouse), would be a tedious process. I tried over a smaller area, and it was frustratingly difficult, but eventually looked pretty good, but with many objects in places where they were not seen.

Thankfully, the distribution path DBX allows for not just the spacing, along the line, but an option to "randomly" set the orientation (essentially rotating each piece) so that they look different. By copying each line, once made, I should be able to do this for each rock, and set the heights to look like a more random stack. Problem was setting the height. I found that I could unblock the objects, then move down, but that as you know is a one time process, as once you lose the highlight, it would be particularly hard to reselect, if you needed them to move again. I guess unless I create a block and unique layer for each segment of the line.

Not sure, but seems a handy way to do something, this random, and curvy, easier. Attached is just a short test segment. Each is actually the identical rock, that chief randomly oriented. That part is good. I unblocked and was able to move them down, but as they are each turned, some were at different heights. I was able to pull those down, but x many of these rocks, that could prove difficult too.

post-489-0-80900400-1450028183_thumb.jpg

post-489-0-06778100-1450028486_thumb.jpg

Here is a random pile, individually placed, and blocked for sections, to fill in spaces, but proved way more time and effort than it was worth. I was hoping to find a way to essentially set up a line, copy it, place different rocks at different intervals/heights, and get same results, but much faster.

post-489-0-62011100-1450028747_thumb.jpg

Never tried this but seems like you could manipulate the Z value of several objects (rocks) and then block them (???) and then try doing a distribution.  Then if you want to do away with any repetitive scaling, go in and manually manipulate the positions (X,Y) and height (Z) as desired.  If you can't use distribution for the blocked items, then just try copying them and follow up with the same manual manipulation to get rid of tiling effects so that your stones look more or less randomly distributed.  Probably a lot of work but sometimes that is what it takes to make things look good.

Oh, just caught a different point you made here. Block a group, height I need, then add to library, and distribute those. Might work, as I think the default for most items is zero. Not sure, but will play with this some, but only have 4 minutes now that football is getting ready to start. I do have priorities..... :)

• Solution

The idea of using the distributed object tools occurred to me, but I can not control the vertical height of the line and thus the objects? Nothing in the dbx to control height...

You can't control the height of the distributed line or polyline but you can control the height of the objects.

In the distributed path/region specification dialog, you should find an "Edit" button to the right of the "Select" button.  This will allow you to modify the object being distributed.  Assuming your rocks are really just exterior fixtures, you should be able to raise or lower all of them by setting the "Floor to Bottom" height.  Also, you may want to make sure they are set to "Auto Adjust Height" so that they will follow the terrain height. 

If all else fails, you can always explode the distributed path so that you can modify the rocks independently.

Darn it Dermot, where were you yesterday when I was killing myself trying to figure this out. :) So easy, and the edit button is only available after the object is selected. For reasons I can't explain, I never went back to look at that. Perfect, and works as I had hoped. So MUCH easier now.
Thank you....

You should work for Chief, you are good at figuring these things out. :)