The Fillet Tool, I Don't Get It

dshall

You have just drawn a rectangle.  You want to fillet a corner,  you activate the  fillet tool,  you start moving the corner in.....  you hit the tab key because you want input the  start of the beginning of the curve 12" from corner.....  how do you do this?

This is the dumbest most unintuitive method of defining the start of the curve for a  fillet.  

CA,  can't you re design the tab  inputs?  Seriously, I want to start the curve/fillet 12" from the corner,  why can't I use the tab/input keys?

Try it guys,  it is dumb and useless,   CA please fix this.

I sent this into Brian as a request.

Try this method:

https://youtu.be/srAzW4JklSI

Thanks Kevin,  that helped.  Yes I can do it that way.  However I do prefer to set distance with the tab key....  but your method ain't half bad.

BTW,  if you spent less money buying golf balls for nit wits like me,  you could invest the money in a video system  with sound.

Thx again.

Scott,

Click on an edge of the Polyline

Click the Fillet Icon on the Edit Toolbar and then click on it again to set the radius

Click on an adjacent edge

Note, once you've set the radius it you can just select the Fillet Tool and select 2 adjacent edges

Thanks Joe,  I get it now,  again,  I like using the tab tool to input the dimension...  quicker for me....  remember I am the hot key king.....  I can never find the stupid icons.

Strange, Vid works perfect here.

Anyway try this. Grab the corner, hold down the 'F' key, move the corner, press the tab key, enter x/y values, bang, filet.

Hope that helps

Wonder why you can't see the vid. Hmmm

That is what I do.  But if tab and I move it 12" left and 12" up,  the radius is 3'-5",  I would of thought it would be 12".

That is what I do.  But if tab and I move it 12" left and 12" up,  the radius is 3'-5",  I would of thought it would be 12".

Didn't check the actual radius I too just figured it would be 12". Weird - and not in a good way.

Filleting the corner this way just moves the corner handle 12" each way, which is why you get the 3'-5" radius. Not saying it's right. Just explains the results you're seeing.

post-108-0-20864500-1449872116_thumb.png

It would be nice if we could assign a hotkey for fillet radius, as you mentioned Scott.

Another way...

Get into Fillet Edit mode. 

Select the polyline or whatever you want to fillet.

Get into the Fillet command by shortcut, menu, toolbar or whatever.

At this stage you can use a hot key or the Set Fillet Radius icon on the Edit toolbar to set the fillet radius.

Click exactly in the corner you want to fillet.

http://screencast.com/t/m5ZUVcFyT1

• Upvote 1