Can You Re-Level A Lake?

keithhe

Go to solution Solved by Joe_Carrick,

I'm pretty sure I'm in the running for Weirdest Questions Asked on this forum of all time, but seeing something odd on the level of two symbols in a drawing. (see attached photo)

Before you ask, I can't easily upload this plan as it is huge and only really used for site reference stuff. If pressed, I will upload to Drop, or something....

Reference the two docks (both created outside plan and made into symbol to position here), and either they , or the lake is not level. So my question is, can a symbol be made, not level? Certainly didn't try to do that. I'm pretty sure the water (it's live here) is level.

Or is the terrain in live plan below water level able to create this. Anyway, something odd happening, and hopefully someone will know what it might be. Given that both docks show this exact same tilt, I suspect there is a terrain issue below water level, but not sure why that would matter on a symbol) Guesses are fine.

Again, if I need to, I will upload this live plan to Cloud if it will help anyone (note about 65Mb)

post-489-0-47867400-1449786661_thumb.jpg

Joe and Johathan,

I suspected as much too, but not having dealt with water other than down there at Lake Gaston, didn't know water could "follow terrain". I made assumption water would seek level. How, exactly, does one make water not follow terrain? Shouldn't the surface just be flat at elevation feature was given, like normal on planet?

No idea how to fix this, and again, if needed, I'll send to an off site cloud.

Thanks,

Keith

No kidding, the lake is following the terrain. So my topic question is actually not the joke I thought it was. This is crazy, and nothing I knew was possible in CA.

So, how does one level a lake? Is there something special with terrain I need to do, as I simply added a water feature, and set it's level, in relation to the elevation data I have. Some of the elevation lines, near shore, do come in and out of the water.

post-489-0-66134500-1449787865_thumb.jpg

• Solution

Create a "Flat Region" around the Lake so that it's the shape of the lake.  Note that you will have to make sure the Flat Region is at the correct elevation.  The water will then be level.  It defaults to about 1" thick but it always follows the Terrain so the Terrain has to be flat in order for it to be a lake or pond.

Note:  Another solution would be to use a Slab or PSolid as the Water Surface and just place it at the desired elevation.

Thanks Joe,

I think I follow what you said..... I'll try that. Clearly the CA designers have never gone swimming anywhere before. I think they are land locked though in their defense, and in the middle of nowhere Idaho or somewhere. Next time I go diving I will need to shoot a photo for them.

I guess what is confusing, to me anyway, is in what situation would you want water to not be level, other than MC Escher drawings?

There is a very big lake at Coeur d'Alene ;)  I played golf there and put several balls in it (there's an island green and the lake is also used for the driving range)

Several? I think you took about 13 tee shots and missed the island every time.

Several? I think you took about 13 tee shots and missed the island every time.

25 at the driving range.  Exactly where I wanted them :P

2 at the island green (I was only going to hit the one but you said to take a mulligan) - as I recall you hit 5 and were #@*!%# after every shot. :lol:  Then Scott Harris hit his tee shot just 6" from the pin - best tee shot of the day and his only 1 putt. :wub: