Current Printer For Chief? What Are You Using?

HumbleChief

I was wondering what printer you are currently using for printing 'in house' or if you print in house at all? Do you print 24 x 36? 11 x 17?

I have an older HP 110plus that's been really reliable over the 10 or more years I've owned it and use it less and less as I've begun using a print house instead but occasionally it's really nice to print a couple or three corrected sheets in house.

It's getting near upgrade time and was wondering what was good and reliable out there currently.

Thanks

No in house for me anymore, it just takes too long to do, when I could be drawing. Unless you have many thousands of dollars to spend, the lower end machines are just too slow, and when you have 5-20 page sets to print, it just takes too long for me. You could also use an old computer to print, that might help.

Larry,

For 11 x 17 prints, I use a HP Officejet Pro K8600. Been a good reliable printer for many years. There maybe a newer version by now.

For 24 x 36 prints, I use a HP Designjet T520. 

The nearest print shop is 15 miles from me. Much easier for me to do it in house. 

Jon

I still have a working HP110 that I use primarily for all 24x36 prints. I ditched the all in ones from HP for a Brother MFC J6920dw that is great for my 11x17. Two paper trays so I can load one with 11x17 and one with 8.5x11. Much better on ink than the HP machines. Very interested in upgrading my large format too since I do a lot of printing (6 sets yesterday) and the 110 is really slow.

Larry for prelims I use a Epsom WF-7520 all in one and for big print I bought a used canon IPF750 that is working great for me knock on wood, I print all in house since print house is always from me and If I have the ups to me it's late the next day or longer

We have 2 - HP Designjet T120's that we print all bidding and final plans on.  We don't send anything to print shops.

We even print on a "TyVek" style paper that is waterproof and won't tear.  Contractors prefer it over laminating their plans as they can still write on it with pencil.

For 11x17's we have bigger multifunction (Kyocera TASKalfa 3050ci/3051ci) devices that we use.  They also print in color...which I LOOOOVE.

Jonathan, what is the speed like on the T120? The HP110 is super slow, sometimes over 5 minutes per page on standard print settings. Not much faster on draft/fast setting.

My HP110 is no where near that slow. Are you printing full color? Highest res? I print to PDF first, because the 110 chokes on big files, then print 'fast' to the 110. I'll time a typical sheet when I get time.

Larry, I use a Canon ix6520 which I bought for about $119 on sale 3 years ago.  Prints color and 11x17.  Now not available but the Canon ix6820 is the replacement and lists for $136 on line.  I do most of my work using it and use print house for larger pages.  Send to them by e-mail using PDF.  Picture quality is good enough for color renderings and presentations using photo paper.

I may be intrested in the T120 printer.

Does anyone know what the main diferences between the T520 and the T120

I have the T120. Prints Arch C in 40 secs. Arch D in 70 secs. The T120  doesn't come with a stand. Mine sits on top of the old 110 Plus stand. The T520 is much faster and comes with a stand. Best check the HP store for more information. Oh, and it's wi-fi. Could print from my phone if I want. 

I was wondering what printer you are currently using for printing 'in house' or if you print in house at all? Do you print 24 x 36? 11 x 17?

I have an older HP 110plus that's been really reliable over the 10 or more years I've owned it and use it less and less as I've begun using a print house instead but occasionally it's really nice to print a couple or three corrected sheets in house.

It's getting near upgrade time and was wondering what was good and reliable out there currently.

Thanks

I just spoke to an HP sales rep and he said if your HP110 is still working good that he wouldnt replace it with the T120 or 520 because its not that much of a difference in speed and the print quality. I know I have been real happy with mine. He also said they were having an issue with the display screen going blank when there was an error. I guess its not the big of a deal but still no need to replace if you existing printer is working fine. I think the newer models may not be a durable as the older models (just a hunch).

Alan,

I just printed your PDF on our T120, and it took 1:38.73 seconds from the second I clicked print to when it cut the paper.

This thing is MUUUUUCH faster than the HP Designjet 130nr we used to have, and the print quality is way better too.

Alan

Do you have it to use printer memory or computer memory? How much memory is in the printer? If not much memory in your printer, change to use computer memory. Not sure if those settings are still in hp's drivers though. It really helped the speed for me. Plot drivers create large files. Try the pdf first method.

I just printed this for a test file. 6.5 mins on my 110p. Set to print grayscale with black ink only on the normal print setting. Who do I have to sleep with to find out how to get that to print in 2 mins?

Alan, first thing, in the drop down that says normal go in there and choose fast. And maybe 'Drawings text' and see if that helps.

post-302-0-66940600-1449788026_thumb.png