Sinks & Cabinets

ED-209

Hi,

I'm having trouble adding kitchen sinks; in the floor camera view the counter-top shows through the sink. The only way I can stop this is to stretch out the whole cabinet so it's one long unit, but then both the doors are about 1.5m each. 

I've tried changing the height, but it just takes the cabinet with it. 

Is there a way around this, or am I going to have to have 4ft. wide doors in all of my cabinets?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

There is at least one sink in the library that don't cut a hole in the counter correctly.  Try a different sink.

I've tried lots of sinks, it does it with all of them. You'd think they'd test these things before releasing software.

The "advice of others" has been to post a plan. All the image tells me is you have a problem.

One thing though- where did you get that sink? I can't find a double drainboard sink in my libraries.

Here is a single drainboard sink from the library.

post-85-0-03458200-1452176756_thumb.jpg

Now I have to get some work done and head to a funeral, someone else will have to help once you get around to putting up a plan.

It looks like that sink may be over multiple cabinets.

It is, it's the only way to get doors underneath it. Otherwise you have to stretch out one cabinet so that the door it 2m wide, which would be highly impractical for a real house.

Adjust the front face elements of the wide cabinet by using the dbx.  You can split the elements using "Split Vertical"

Another way that works is to create a Custom Cabinet Top wide enough for the sink.  You might have to adjust the sink location after inserting it in the custom top.

Although sinks can span multiple cabinets, the program might not always cut the automatic counter top hole correctly.  The best thing to do in this situation is to simply create your own custom counter top.  The easiest way to do this is to select all connected base cabinets and then use the "Generate Custom Countertop" tool. This custom counter top should replace the automatic ones and this should give you a proper hole for your sink.

I would also encourage you to report any problems you find with the automatic counter tops to technical support.

If you are creating your own sink symbols, you may have to manually create your own counter top hole.  Custom sink symbols will only create a rectangular hole by default.  If you need any other shaped hole, you will need to create it yourself.

Also, just as an FYI.  You can split cabinet faces up into as many different face items as you like.  Assuming that you are using Chief Architect Premier X7, you can split faces either horizontally and vertically and sub-divide them as many times as you like.  It is very simple to create a single cabinet with a double or triple face.  In your case, it looks like you are trying to make a sink base that is narrower then the other cabinets.  This is just a guess based on your rather small picture.  Since you can't make a single cabinet with multiple depths this probably won't help solve your problem. 

And finally, you will usually get more help if you post a simple plan demonstrating the problem.