Totally Stumped. Truss Not The Same At The Ends.

DaViper

I am going with "more than frustrated" right now. 

I created my roof and ceiling planes to generate a truss.  I am very close to what I need as far as dimensions go BUT in pic truss2, it shows what I need with a vertical heel member.  The truss1 (other end) does not do that.  I have checked every single parameters side to side for the roof and ceiling planes.  Everything is the same.  I have also deleted the truss and recreated it, and closed out the program.  What parameters define the heel area of the truss and what did I screw up? 

The way I defined the roof plane was to select the roof plane tool and create boxes around the two walls I would use, then "join roof planes".  I think I did a similar procedure for the ceiling.  However, I am working these planes from each side rather than together as a unit.  Can I combine them to end this nightmare or do I have to work each side separately? 

post-8837-0-74224000-1449614137_thumb.jpg

post-8837-0-95906600-1449614144_thumb.jpg

I am not sure what a model will do.  I will not be able to design the actual truss in Chief, I just need it to be dimensionally accurate. 

In a nut shell, I need truss1 to look like truss2.  These are the two ends of the exact same truss.  Chief is generating different ends on the same truss and I am not sure why.  If I knew what settings would control this, I could check parameters. 

Thanks and that is what I was thinking. 

Question though, the truss configuration in truss2 is actually what I want.  Is that even a possibility?  I am trying to configure something with flats at the heel that sit on top of the top plate or pole in this case with no birdsmouth or notching for now. 

Nope!  Was able to do this one time and still not sure what setting would control this.  The picture shows what I want at the heels.  I have created several other models.  ALL of them will create a nice heel like the one pictured, and another that will cut into the wall at the other side. 

EDIT:  for reference, I added the odd ball.  Even if I make a brand new model with 4 basic walls, it does the same thing over and over.  One heel has a flat bottom, the other just follows the bottom chord

post-8837-0-94809000-1449713922_thumb.jpg

post-8837-0-21073000-1449714190_thumb.jpg

Attach the plan. 19 times out of 20 there's something about the plan that a person just keeps overlooking and someone will usually spot it and answer your question in short order...without spending a bunch of valuable time just guessing.

Could not agree more Michael. I have never figured out why people are so hesitant to post their plans?? Is it pride or something, not sure, but people willing will just move along as it's simply guessing without being able to see the plan, and I can speak for me here, I won't waste the time guessing.

Case in point. This thread https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/7453-ray-trace-issues/, posted without a plan. I asked him to post, he posted, and I solved it. I would never have figured that out without ability to look through the plan, and eliminate things.

Sorry, my Inet connection is beyond poor today and the file will not upload.  I got it loaded to file convoy so you can just open it from there. 

I generated 4 basic walls and a truss to keep this very simple.  There is obviously a setting or something simple causing this but it has so far beaten me. 

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g8d1f23ea792dd5c0999759061063a1b9ec8c5d9af

I tried dragging the roof plane way out past the wall.  The rafter and roofing extend but the heels stay as-is, even with a forced truss rebuild. 

As well, both walls have the roof plane in the same spot, yet the heels are different side to side.  I did figure out that when I raise up the ceiling surface just a touch past the top of plate, it will build a more substantial heel.  It really makes no difference though as we have a very special truss design to use that I doubt I can build it Chief.  I just need to get dimensions and such right. 

You can see how one side the truss cuts into the wall and follows along the bottom chord plane.  The other has a flat bottom heel, which is what I need. 

I also learned that once I get my trusses set at the right height, I can just go back and raise the height of the poles in my pole barn and it will notch the poles like I need.  Just gotta get this truss issue figured out!

Pretty darn close.  Actually, I think I spoke too soon on the roof plane edit.  I Did end up with at least the same heels but I am wondering about making the heel like the one in my pic above as TR-0?  I seem to remember playing with the ceiling height a bit and it did that.  Never the less, I think we are really close. 

The issue is the energy or raised heel truss design that needs siding over the truss.  I need that truss to be flush with the wall, not the siding but I am sure we can play with it a bit after I get the right truss design to come up. 

Thanks guys!  I think we are super close.  Figured it was nothing major. 

You guys got it!  Tell me what I am missing here?  I only had a few minutes to play with it a bit but certainly seems this problem is being caused by the roof plane not being far enough outside.  

Glen, how did you produce the truss above?  was it by raising the ceiling just a touch?  It really won't matter on my design, as there won't be a ceiling but it seemed to generate the truss I wanted.  

I probably should do more reading but I am still pretty unclear on settings for ceiling and roof plane heights.  The way I was doing some of the raised heels, I was just raising the roof plane 'x" amount from what it was.  i assume the right way is to either use the "raise off plate" setting in roof setup but I was surprised you cannot set that after the fact?  

Glen, how did you produce the truss above?  was it by raising the ceiling just a touch?

No, I dragged the outside edge of the roof plane to line up with the outside of the wall's main layer. 

In plan view, you need to turn on the "Walls, Layers" layer. 

Alright Glen, I was able to sort of reproduce the result in my test plan so I moved over to my pole building plan and I am still getting confusing results.  I will again get the heel that I desire in your pic above on one side only.  I made very sure I had the walls turned on and drove that line.  The roof planes are auto generating either the plane or the baseline 1/4" out which makes the truss heel sit out away from the framing that much.  When I move that back and rebuild the truss, it moves the heel I want to the OTHER side!  I cannot get it to produce that heel at both ends.  Obviously it has something to do with the roof plane setup but my results are so unreliable, I have to be doing something wrong. 

Again, here is a file to load and review. 

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=ge8adc8f575e4e4da9997595772ab95c4a8da0c85a