Chief X8 Sneak Preview

HumbleChief

Thanks Glenn

I asked the question badly

What I meant was - Single stringer so that it does not have bits cut out to fit the treads.

The example would be a steel box beam with steel plates to take the treads welded to the beam

At that point, what's the point of even using the stair tool? Seems like building individual components and using transform/replicate tool (or any other number of copy/distribution methods) might be just as easy, more accurate, and more versatile... Would just take a little arithmatic.

At that point, what's the point of even using the stair tool? Seems like building individual components and using transform/replicate tool (or any other number of copy/distribution methods) might be just as easy, more accurate, and more versatile... Would just take a little arithmatic.

Yes that would be OK for construction drawings but not really for Ray tracing

- the whole idea of a stair tool, I would have thought, is to be able to generate

a number of stair option so that you can choose which best suit the look of the job

Having the ability to vary riser and tread and other options that are part of the stair tool quickly is a great advantage

so I do not see why it could not be extended a little. - but it might all be to difficult.

By the way Alaskan_Son - have you noticed any significant global warming in that part of the world?

Yes that would be OK for construction drawings but not really for Ray tracing

- the whole idea of a stair tool, I would have thought, is to be able to generate

a number of stair option so that you can choose which best suit the look of the job

Having the ability to vary riser and tread and other options that are part of the stair tool quickly is a great advantage

so I do not see why it could not be extended a little. - but it might all be to difficult.

By the way Alaskan_Son - have you noticed any significant global warming in that part of the world?

We get enough heat downunder so it's good to keep cool heads. Yes the stair tool should be able to do what you have asked so we don't have to do it manually. Or can we do a stringerless stair case and put in a raked steel beam for now?

We get enough heat downunder so it's good to keep cool heads. Yes the stair tool should be able to do what you have asked so we don't have to do it manually. Or can we do a stringerless stair case and put in a raked steel beam for now?

Yes that generally what I do but it does not solve the flexibility that the stair tool provides. The stair tool allows you to quickly change the number of risers and treads, and also allows for quick placement of landings.

Again this is all lost when you have to go down the manual road.

My comment about "Global warming" was a serious question, as Alaska is a long way from Australia and its good to get a first hand comment from where change is most likely to be noticed first!

I do not quite understand "We get enough heat down under so it's good to keep cool heads"  !

Yes that generally what I do but it does not solve the flexibility that the stair tool provides. The stair tool allows you to quickly change the number of risers and treads, and also allows for quick placement of landings.

Again this is all lost when you have to go down the manual road.

My comment about "Global warming" was a serious question, as Alaska is a long way from Australia and its good to get a first hand comment from where change is most likely to be noticed first!

I do not quite understand "We get enough heat down under so it's good to keep cool heads"  !

I thought you were having a dig at AS by saying the heat is getting to his head by him suggesting to do stairs manually? I was wrong but I got a giggle out of it anyway, ha ha ! Yes I hope it is Automatic and a very common stair type with the raise off middle stringer but they would need to include cleats to fill in the gaps. All the best mate !

I thought you were having a dig at AS by saying the heat is getting to his head by him suggesting to do stairs manually? I was wrong but I got a giggle out of it anyway, ha ha ! Yes I hope it is Automatic and a very common stair type with the raise off middle stringer but they would need to include cleats to fill in the gaps. All the best mate !

Fair enough - Glad you got a laugh - But as we are getting hotter down here - at least that's my impression - I wondered what they can see up closer to the polar region.

Lets hope Chief 8 brings us a lot more than we hope.

Best for the new year - Cheers from down in Victoria.

Michael

Don't want to digress too far off topic or hijack the thread so I'll send you a PM. 

Good idea ..........thanks for the personal message ........I would the say the same down here.

It appears that the full release of X8 is going to be in the next couple of week (Beta is already released)

Best for 2016

Cheers

"Does anyone know where we submit bugs for X8? I have an auto roof that works fine in X7 but X8 can't do it. Images attached."

Please submit bug reports for any problems that you find in X8 to our technical support department:

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/#contact

Also, be sure and include the X7 plan with your report along with the pictures showing what you are seeing in X7 and X8.  We will look into this and try and get a fix into the next available update.

Sooo...is X8 truly "released" or still in testing phase? I keep seeing posts on sneak previews and beta testing etc. It is truly ready for release or not? I've used CA for years, but have never automatically jumped forward except once and that was from X6 to X7. I have X7 for almost a year now. If X8 is still in a testing phase, I see no reason to jump on board so fast until I know it is fairly stable. Anyone have an idea when we know for sure it is out of the "testing" phase?

Jacquilla:

X8 is in public beta testing - available to anyone with active SSA

the official release is anticipated for March

this could get delayed if the Beta testing finds major issues

if the issues are minor CA would probably release anyways  then issue update(s)

Lew                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

I was wondering the same thing since I keep seeing all these threads and I have a question after seeing the new features vid. If I got this straight X7 does not support a 3d mouse but will in X8? I have a home show coming up I want to use it, so if I did I could download x8 beta get the mouse and run it? Can I then revert back to X7 and wait until all is stable? In the vid Mike mentions the 3d wireless space mouse by 3D connect is this a good one? The 3d mouse tool looks pretty darn sweet! 

You can download the beta and still use X7 BUT files are not backward compatible.

If you want to give it a test ride:

Don't allow windows to set it as the default program for plan and layout files. 

I immediately do a "save as" for anything opened in 8 and prefix the file with X to avoid confusion or total loss. There are only two of us so that has worked out well.

First thing to do if you go that route is open help and scroll down to Whats New in...to see what to watch out for and what goodies are included.

You could then see how the features you're interested in work (and report any issues).

Actually everything we've done has been in X8 for some time now. Half hour ago I just set it to the default on my machine.  but then I like risks YMMV ;->

I think it's the best update since I've been using the program (X3).

Terry and others

The 3dconnection mouse works like a champ in X8.  Takes a bit of time to get used to it. See choice in Preferences, Render for 3d mouse.  

Also, seems as if walk-throughs have been improved.

So far, no major problems  with X8.  I love it.