Shear Wall Hold Downs

tahoebrian5

For simple structures it's not a big deal, but I end up doing three story cut up homes where things don't stack properly. In this case sent how the hds work in 3D would be very helpful. I'm considering just using a post type object with a triangular shape. Then I can change to a different material and it would pop out from the framing. Also being able to show where some come down over beams would be helpful and is the reason I'm considering the post tool ( to be able to lengthen them easily). That's my best idea but I can barely navigate in chief at the moment so hoping some better ideas are out there.

I use cad details for all of the shear situation, as Chief doesn't address this mostly at all, but there are some details in the cad detail section of the lib. to get you started. A while back Scott Hall (DSHALL) did a series of videos on the 3d holdowns, an his method worked pretty good ,if you want to take it that far.

3d warehouse has a large selection of Simpson hangers including 3d hold downs, I usually get them from there as needed. Also if you need a specialty hanger and they don't have it, try contacting Simpson Engineering Technology Department, and say you been to a 3d warehouse and you cannot find a certain hanger there for a project and you need to display that on the 3D model and see if they have it... if not there is a good chance they will make it for you. They just made me a  DTT1Z tension hanger I needed for a project, they made it and send it to me within a few days.

Good luck

• Upvote 1

I have been working with this for a while now. Where it really gets interesting is when you place dimensions and text in 3D on the appropriate layers for display in section views and 3D overviews.

You can also make your own 3D symbols from the patterns if you get feeling ambitious.

The toughest part of this process is getting the different pieces that are needed to be aligned properly when using Chief's symbol import processes.

• 2 weeks later...

3d warehouse has a large selection of Simpson hangers including 3d hold downs, I usually get them from there as needed. Also if you need a specialty hanger and they don't have it, try contacting Simpson Engineering Technology Department, and say you been to a 3d warehouse and you cannot find a certain hanger there for a project and you need to display that on the 3D model and see if they have it... if not there is a good chance they will make it for you. They just made me a  DTT1Z tension hanger I needed for a project, they made it and send it to me within a few days.

Good luckHi Greg,

Can i get a copy of that hanger from simpson from you... I could really use it too... DTT1Z Thank you in advance!!