New To Chief. Is There A Keynote Tool?

deesee

Go to solution Solved by DRAWZILLA,

I wanted to add a small caveat and that is I am not disappointed with Chief's tools as they are now. For my smaller projects I have everything I need to create ConDocs that work for me and my clients. Chief can create a custom schedule tool or not and I hope they can upgrade their software to address a larger market that's not being addressed now but I can use what's here without too much trouble. I also hope Chief improves their tools for those who really need them.

Are we no longer able to control the callout size from the schedule? Using this method my callouts are too small.

The snip shows the note block I curerntly use, I just copy paste callouts and renumber them as I go.

In the plant schedule setup the callout is teeeeeeny and I cant remember how to change it?

Callout size can be adjusted on the Label tab of the schedule dbx and via the plant label layer settings.

That video was pretty painful to watch but admire the author's expertise. I'm now trying to figure out how I can get this done in CA 'much faster'.

A while back I did a custom eyebrow dormer after watching this video in Vectorworks, and was actually amazed how fast it was inside CA.  As Glenn says if you go the auto-dormer route that can be fast too.

No, what Johhny shows us is a bit different, but more easier. I am sure that geometrical property can be achieved. Chief doesn't lack! The secret lies at the bottom of roof dbx. "Baseline angle" yes "baseline angle", but this is again an indicator for the potential superiority of chief over the others.

Larry,

Build an auto dormer and then select "Eyebrow".

About 5 or 6 mouse clicks I think.

It should take about 4 seconds.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post but I did find it as you've shown. Couldn't believe it was just a button click away. NICE, and thanks Glenn.

vector works seems like a lot of work to me, to much trouble. Chief does it much faster, maybe not as detailed though.

For residential (traditional styles) modeling, I agree CA is much faster.  However, you really dont get stuck in Vectorworks on odd issues since you can always revert to simple modeling - and CD creation is better inside Vectorworks (true BIM custom schedules/notes).  I find CA terrible at basic shape modeling for reasons that ought not to be - but its other tools (roofs, cabinets, etc) are really powerful.

If someone's business is residential architecture CA is tough to match at the present time.

Enter the base line angle a value greater than zero. You should exactly get that angled ridge of the dormer. I am sure it was just this point why Johnny posted this video, other wise it was some thing obviousI. I was doing it manually+ I never used that "baseline angle" too. may be it was only me that was missing. Any way after you put the eye borrow dormer then explode it, and just 2 more clicks to enter that box.

post-2517-0-82007300-1458868650_thumb.png

I can't get the callout to display in elevation, any suggestions?

Check out post #32 to see if that gives you any useful answers. The 3 biggest things are...

1. The plant labels layer needs to be on (as well as the plants or notes layer...or whatever layer you have them on).

2. The symbol needs to be placed between your camera and the nearest object (i.e. so that the camera can actually "see" it)

3. The symbol needs to be rotated properly as noted in the aforementioned post

I need to verify with others here....

If I move my label in one elevation, is it moving in the other elevations as well? If so, that stinks. I thought all the labels in different views moved independently. But it looks to me that they all move together. That means you have to coordinate their placement. HASSLE.

I am still torn if this is really worth it. It's almost easier to just do a text box with bulleted numbers and use the callout tool to place those numbers all over the plan and elevations.

I need to verify with others here....

If I move my label in one elevation, is it moving in the other elevations as well? If so, that stinks. I thought all the labels in different views moved independently. But it looks to me that they all move together. That means you have to coordinate their placement. HASSLE.

I am still torn if this is really worth it. It's almost easier to just do a text box with bulleted numbers and use the callout tool to place those numbers all over the plan and elevations.

As long as you are actually moving the LABEL and not the symbol, the label should move independently for the various camera views.

I definitely agree that using the automated schedule method for elevation notes is a bit more difficult. Not bad at all if you can get used to the process but nowhere near as easy as using the system for notes in plan view.

• 3 weeks later...

Joe, ty, I knew that, sheepish grin.

Perry, ty, not sure I completely follow, but if I commit time to building a keynote library, I'll explore macros...

If you are taking time to actually build a keynote library and place those into the library as Plant Symols (or whatever symbol type you're using for your keynotes), you can optionally also just use the replace from library tool to change all instances in any given plan. May not have all the benefits of using a macro but macros have their drawbacks as well.

I'm not sure what the OP wants, I was talking notes in multiple instances. keynotes are different, and you just copy the callout and place it elsewhere if you want the same note. I have a short video saved if you are interested.