New To Chief. Is There A Keynote Tool?

deesee

Go to solution Solved by DRAWZILLA,

I'm not sure what the OP wants, I was talking notes in multiple instances. keynotes are different, and you just copy the callout and place it elsewhere if you want the same note. I have a short video saved if you are interested.

I knew what you were talking about. I was talking about notes in multiple instances too. If you want to change a note and have it change everywhere else in the plan, using Replace From Library (all instances) can do the trick as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It's been a while with this topic, but I just found a great article about why it's so important to have a good keynote system for your drawings. I felt I should share it.

http://entrearchitect.com/2014/07/01/the-ultimate-guide-to-streamlining-your-architectural-production-process/

Some of the image examples don't load, but you can view examples of the authors drawings on his website here......

http://www.dmsdesign.us/plans.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious. I've been moving towards using keynotes more often, but another architect thought that contractors wouldn't like it because they have to search for the information on the plans.

So.....is there a point where you can take this too far?

Have you ever lost referrals from a contractor that switched to a different architect because they didn't like your new keynote system? 

I attached my last floor plan.

OWENS FINAL 1-COLOR.pdf

Wow, a lot of information on that construction plan. What other plans do you draw? For instance, is there a roof framing plan? And an electrical Plan? And I assume the "Elevation Key Notes" is a typo?

I go back and forth with how much stuff to put on one plan, and on which plan.

• 10 months later...

This is an old topic revisited...

I sent Michael a direct message, but I am trying to give this another shot.

I noticed today that I can no longer hide a plant label from an elevation camera/view. Previously I could rotate the plant label perpendicular to the view and it would disappear. Have the brilliant engineers at Chief taken this away from us in Chief X9? I don't have an old install of X8 or X7 to try this and check it.

I also reread Michaels post #22, and realized that I can use Electrical symbols and use different electrical schedules that will only list versions of electrical symbols, because Electrical Schedules have the unique ability to check "Objects to include". So one schedule that looks for switches, one for outlets, and one that uses lights for keynotes, etc.....I'll see if I can incorporate this.

Michael, have you made any changes to your use of keynotes in the past year that you can share?

40 minutes ago, CARMELHILL said:

Michael, have you made any changes to your use of keynotes in the past year that you can share?

Changes?  Not per se, but I have added a few tricks to the toolbox...

It's worth stressing again that due to the addition of new new Object Information fields and the new/enhanced Drawing Group controls, it is MUCH MUCH easier to use all sorts of object types now and not just Plants.

With regard to the elevation view problem...I mostly just use them in plan views so I can't speak to the elevation views all that much.  Most of what I came up with in that regard was just to help other users out.  One other thing I would recommend you check out is the Label tab...Hide In This View.  That and placing the object on a different layer and simply turning that layer off.  I don't know, there might be other methods as well...maybe just using a CAD mask even. 

OK. Yes, it looks like they took away the ability to hide the label in elevation by rotating the plant symbol in front of the camera. And yes, you can still hide individual labels in elevations by using Label - Camera View Display - Hide in this View. But the added object fields and drawing groups give more options. 

Still wish they could figure out a true key note manager since none of these wok in 2D details.

Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, CARMELHILL said:

Still wish they could figure out a true key note manager since none of these wok in 2D details.

I agree.  It seems like it would be super easy too.  It could be as simple as adding something similar to the Object Information fields to a callout, providing a checkbox for "Include In Keynote Manager" and then a Keynote Manager (schedule) with a setting that allows a person to only include objects from a particular user defined "Group" or layer. 

i invested some time in the plant schedules method, but in the end abandoned it, neutral benefit, limited to the single schedule so no notes for any other plans - foundation, framing, electrical.

it would be really, really nice to be able to have a schedule or note block with a graphic showing the type or shape of the callout - cirlce, square, whatever. right now I have a note block and a callout, have to move them both when I want to adjust position.

I like to have a note block or each plan as well as general notes. In fact I can use both a general notes and a plan notes block for each plan. It would be so great to have a library of notes that I could drop into plan and have report to a note block on that layer.

I wouldn't mind making the same callout in elevation as in plan. Window removed and such like for a remodeling plan.

It seems both super easy and a really important tool to be missing.

• 5 weeks later...

There's a downside though. I'll don't think I'll be able to do a simple cabinet schedule for a commercial set of drawings if I use this idea because of the conflicting notes & actual cabinets used. But that's something to tackle on another day.

It blows my mind that Chief's engineers can't come up with something better than this. Sad.

24 minutes ago, CARMELHILL said:

There's a downside though. I'll don't think I'll be able to do a simple cabinet schedule for a commercial set of drawings if I use this idea because of the conflicting notes & actual cabinets used. But that's something to tackle on another day.

It blows my mind that Chief's engineers can't come up with something better than this. Sad.

Thanks for sharing your file - its always interesting to see how others coordinate their drawings.

I agree, there should be a keynote tool in Chief.  It makes no sense there isn't one, since the app obviously has the functionally right now.  Personally, I do a hybrid keynote plan where i try to be clear enough inside the plan to communicate important callouts - but the use keynotes/footnotes for more specifics.  When i've done full keynote plans i typically hear from field guys its a bit too much for them to go back and forth between plan/notes.

I agree about the back and forth. You always try to be the contractors best friend and give him everything he needs on the same page. It means more contractor referrals. But things have gotten crazy with the new codes and town filing requirements. I remember when i could pull a permit with maybe 4 sheets of drawings. Now I'm up to 11. I feel like I re-type half the code on my drawings rather than giving real useful information. Therefore I have to start increasing my own productivity and stop worrying about everyone else.

50 minutes ago, CARMELHILL said:

....... I feel like I re-type half the code on my drawings rather than giving real useful information. ......

You and me both.......  in fact I am now stapling the entire 2016 code book to the back of my plans and noting on the plans to refer to the code book attached to the plans.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, dshall said:

You and me both.......  in fact I am now stapling the entire 2016 code book to the back of my plans and noting on the plans to refer to the code book attached to the plans.

What i've gone to is a "Construction Detail Workbook" that is a bound letter size document that is referenced inside the full sized arch plans, but contains all the "code-cover" issues.  I rarely change it, and its a "manual" for each project.  I place our engineering calcs in it, and specifications if the project has them.

Its a life-saver on code issues.