New Guy With Framing Questions

tahoebrian5

Chief will at some point - not very far away IMO - be able to extract 3D Cut-a-Way details from the model.  At that point, I expect that 2D Details will start to disappear. 

You got that right Joe. The “Assembly Design” workbench takes the 3D cuts and there is a really cool tool I drag along multiple assembled solids that shows me how the cut changes in 3D space through framing and systems DMUs. I can stop at anytime, take measurements, or take a 3D camera view and store it in a 3D “tree” along with other operations. In the camera views I use “3D drafting tools” called, “ Functional Dimensioning and Annotations” (FTA) that have minimum GD&T dims/annotations and, the entire model carries a general tolerance I specify. A lot of mfg is driven by specs or build paper/models, so the need for 2D drafting and annotations out of design is gone. Builders and inspectors can launch the 3D camera views on an phone app or PC. I’m thinking about using my toy hauler as a on-site data communication center. A code or engineering path would have to predetermined and discussed so this out in the future.

It is the way we designed, built, and FAA certified the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. You all can feel safe now when you fly it you are in the hands of high tech 3D technologies ;)

Brian, check out Draftsite it's free.

.....I am with all the rest on never drawing lines again. I just had some revisions on an old plan come back from the Engineer because of a foundation change. I have to do this all in Vectorworks CAD and can hardly wait to finish and get back to my Chief drawings.

I am simply echoing what Mon Cherie and the rest have said....  fewer cad lines the better.

Brian,

If you must do 2D CAD, try Chief's "CAD Detail from View" Tool.  It will take any Orthographic View (Plan, Elevation or Section) and create a CAD drawing that can be edited as 2D CAD.  I only use this for certain large scale details but you might like it.  It's a super fast way to go from model to 2D CAD Details.

Brian,

If you must do 2D CAD, try Chief's "CAD Detail from View" Tool.  It will take any Orthographic View (Plan, Elevation or Section) and create a CAD drawing that can be edited as 2D CAD.  I only use this for certain large scale details but you might like it.  It's a super fast way to go from model to 2D CAD Details.

Works like a charm. I just used it to put some 3D ISO's on a PDF for some estimates. You the man! :)