Shelves Showing Through Panel Doors In Diierent Views When Sent To Layout

KitchenCenter1

The shelves are showing through the panel doors when sending to layout. I tried Vector and Technical Illustration and the shelves are still showing in perspective views. Any ideas why or how to eliminate them?

The original drawing was started in 2014. ?Yesterday, I began by changing walls and laying out all new Inset cabinetry. We are using Chief 7. Cannot get the shelves to not appear in different perspective views.

The shelves are showing through the panel doors when sending to layout. I tried Vector and Technical Illustration and the shelves are still showing in perspective views. Any ideas why or how to eliminate them?

The original drawing was started in 2014. ?Yesterday, I began by changing walls and laying out all new Inset cabinetry. We are using Chief 7. Cannot get the shelves to not appear in different perspective views.

You should always post plan to get a quicker ACCURATE answer,  but I  would bet if you  opened the cabinet and CHANGED THE DEPTH OF THE SHELVES,  you will no longer have the problem.  Probably a change in depth of less than 1/2" will fix it for you.

Since there are no plans or pictures attached to your post, I can only make guesses about what your problem is.

My best guess is that what you are seeing is a z-fighting problem.  If you do a search here you will find lots of info on z-fighting issues.  Since there can be a wide variety of causes, there are also a wide variety of solutions.

The good news is that if you are using the Vector View rendering technique, you should not see any of these problems when you send a view to layout (as long as you don't send it as an "image").  Any of the other rendering techniques will always be images so they would show the problem on layouts.

The main reason why this problem shows up frequently with cabinet shelves is because the default door symbol has a very thin panel.  It's only about 1/16" thick which is not very realistic. Making your shelves shorter or removing them completely will solve your problem.  Personally, I think it is much easier to just choose a different door style in your default cabinets.  The raised panel door that is in the core libraries usually works much better then the recessed panel that is the default.  You probably only need to do this for your default base, wall, and full height cabinet and as long as all of your cabinets in your plan are still set to "use default" then your problems should go away.

I really doubt that the shelves are actually protruding through the doors.  A cross section view would confirm this but of course we are still just guessing.

Either a frameless cabinet or a face frame cabinet with inset doors are more likely to show the problem.  A face frame cabinet with a traditional overlap door is less likely to show the problem.  These are due to the way that the cabinets are constructed.  In any case, the problem is most likely a side effect of the door panel being too thin.  Changing the shelf depth, removing the shelves entirely, or changing the door style will probably solve the problem.  In most cases, changing door styles is the easiest solution since you can just change it in your cabinet defaults.

The above solutions only apply to cabinet shelves.  There are a wide variety of other z-fighting problems with other possible solutions including updating video card drivers, changing your camera near clipping distance, and correcting modeling problems such as overlapping objects or very thin layers in walls or roofs.  This is why posting a plan along with a screen capture of the problem will help others give you more relevant suggestions.

When all else fails, contact technical support.

I really doubt that the shelves are actually protruding through the doors.......

I disagree  Dermot.  Attached is a picture of OOB upper cabs.  The 3 upper cabs are exactly the same.  Note the middle  upper cabinet that shows some of the shelves popping thru.  It look like the further away from the camera the cabinets are,  the more likely the problem will arise.

Now note the bottom cabinet.  Same cabinet,  should look like the upper cabinets with shelves  popping thru,  but I opened dbx and changed the depth of cabinets to 9" deep (not the default death of 11-1/4") and all is okay.

I am sure your solution of changing the default doors from inset to paneled will work without changing the depth of the shelves.

post-50-0-21069800-1449690361_thumb.png

The shelf is not protruding past the front of the cabinet box.  It just looks that way because of z-fighting.

Take a look at my picture below.  This is cross section of a default frameless wall cabinet using the default door style.  Please note how there is a small gap between the door and the cabinet shelf.  Note also how the door style shows a very thin panel.  You would never see a cabinet door with a panel this thin in the real world.

You can solve the z-fighting problem by choosing a door style without this thin panel or by modifying your shelves.  Choose the method that works best for you.

post-26-0-09082600-1449691845_thumb.jpg