Windows 10 Download

chief58

I have a question about windows 10, I downloaded it on my old computer but haven't played with it much, does anyone know if I download win 10 on my new computer can I download it while it is still a free option but not install it yet until I feel comfortable with it, I have win 7 on the new one and win 8 on the laptop, how many problems are people having using the new win 10. people either love it or hate it.

Thanks for any help 

I have decided to follow my "rule" and not download Win 10 for my Win7 desktop or Vista Laptop

I will get Win10 (or later) when I need to buy a new computer

My "rule" is to get a new PC with a new OS

I prefer not to do the upgrade dance/hassles

I am dismayed that Win 10 abandoned Windows Media Center

so I will plan on getting a win7 laptop to handle that for my 60" tv center

my vista laptop will be going to my museum to drive a 55" tv for doing presentations

and surfing the web if I can get a mobile hotspot setup there

Lew

I've been running Windows 10 for a number of months now without any issues. I basically set it up to look and operate just like Windows 7. I've noticed a substantial decrease in startup time on my desktop. Ironically, laptop seems to take a little longer than it used to though.

I've been running Windows 10 for a number of months now without any issues. I basically set it up to look and operate just like Windows 7. I've noticed a substantial decrease in startup time on my desktop. Ironically, laptop seems to take a little longer than it used to though.

Thanks guys for all the great comments.

Michael my old computer looks like windows 7 but not being a very knowledgable computer guy I do.n't know how I got it to there if I only knew I would try to do it to the other one and maybe the new one or laptop.

Rich thanks for the site I will put that on a DVD  for future 

Have been running Windows 10 on 5 systems (2 laptops, 2 desktops & 1 tablet) since it's first release. There were a few issues back then but with all of the updates everything now appears to be running well. Quite comfortable to recommend upgrading to those who have been hesitating. As always, make sure you have all of your important things backed up.

Graham

I think so far windows 10 is the best window system they came out with... although XP Pro I was running before the upgrade wasn't to bad, I never had any issues with it as well... and now Windows 10 system runs like a Swiss Clock, no issues what's so ever since the upgrade. Would definitely recommend it without thinking twice.

I don't wish to rain, or sprinkle, on this parade of positive press for win 10, well maybe a slight mist.  I can't quite put my finger on the problems that I have had, nothing has been egregious enough to warrant my uninstalling of 10.  However, I am going to wait on my win 7 laptop for now. 

The trouble I've had have been more annoying than problematic.  For example, just like Andy, Chrome didn't work well to the point that I ended up uninstalling it, guess I kind of replaced it with edge.  I've had problems with apps failing to launch including Chief. The strangest reaction has been the inability to start the task manager at times. There have been other issues - just nothing worth enumerating at this point. 

All in all I like interface of Win 10, especially compared to 8 but so far 8 worked better for me,  I just would like the nuisance's eliminated. 

The reality is that there is not and never has been a 100% guarantee that an upgrade will go through without a hitch. There are just too many variables in system hardware and software to cover them all. From my experience with Windows 10 and the many tech forums I follow on a daily basis it appears that Microsoft has resolved most of the major issues and as such your upgrade should go through. Should you encounter an issue it is now easier to resolve due to there being a lot more info available now online in comparison to when Windows 10 was first released.

Graham

I still can't upgrade to 10 b/c Dell which now owns Alienwear will not update their drivers for Win. 10 on older machines. They want you to buy a new one. Mine is only 5 years old but I have modified it with new stuff. Even Microsoft said no go, so now I have to get a new one I guess

Perry, when you say can't upgrade what happens. Does it fail and then reverts back to your previous Windows version? If this is happening I know there are some issues concerning Dells original OEM recovery partition. Had this with a 6 year old Dell laptop, the solution was to delete the partition and then the uprade completed properly.

Graham

Yep that's what happens, I had deleted the recovery partition when I added a 1 gb ssd drive to my system. So I really had none so when I went to upgrade I created a 400mb recovery partition back in so win.10 could install, then the dell driver problem came up. Even Microsoft said they couldn't fix it. Has to be fixed by DELL.

Yep that's what happens, I had deleted the recovery partition when I added a 1 gb ssd drive to my system. So I really had none so when I went to upgrade I created a 400mb recovery partition back in so win.10 could install, then the dell driver problem came up. Even Microsoft said they couldn't fix it. Has to be fixed by DELL.

​What driver/hardware is it?

Graham

I still can't upgrade to 10 b/c Dell which now owns Alienwear will not update their drivers for Win. 10 on older machines. They want you to buy a new one. Mine is only 5 years old but I have modified it with new stuff. Even Microsoft said no go, so now I have to get a new one I guess

Not a fan of Dell. I had a bad feeling when they bought out Alienware.

​What driver/hardware is it?

Graham

I don't know, they just said Dell has to supply the driver and they refuse. I haven't tried the delete everything and start over with a clean install, just trying to not have to re-install everything, takes 3 days for me.  Even though my computer is still great ( with a few mods.) I think it's time for Santa to bring me a new machine. Mine has lasted 5 years.