Wood Cabinet

warrenwest

Go to solution Solved by HamlinBC,

Hi, I have just migrated over from the the Hometalk forum since upgrading to CA X7 and I need some help with this issue if I may folks.

I am designing a custom tv cabinet for a client. Everything is going according to plan except one small yet important detail. I have constructed the unit out of 8 separate mini cabinets in order to achieve the final result. Top row housing all the components are drawers with smoked glass front panels and below each are double drawers with wooden panels. I would like the cabinet to appear as if the entire front (wood ) part is a single piece of wood that has been cut into the different drawers. Like a puzzle so to speak. 

Unfortunately no matter what wood finish I apply or how much I tweak the material settings it always applies the changes to each individual drawer. `Any advice ?

Many thanks

post-2914-0-02702300-1449002984_thumb.png

Ray,

I think he want's to have it look like it was cut from a single piece of plywood so the grain is continuous rather than each drawer having a separate grain.  The only way I know of doing this is to make the Doors and Drawers a "Transparent" Material and then imposing a single Solid with the desired material just behind the front of the cabinet face.  It's kind of tricky but it will make the grain appear to be continuous.

Here's what I did:

1. Make the cabinet out of 4 boxes instead of 8...just to simplify things.
  2. Selected my material I wanted to use for the door fronts.
  3. Made the scale of the material to be the width of the cabinet (in my case 96").
  4. Make 4 copies of the material so I now have 4 UNIQUE materials (which is technically all the same material), and assign each unique material to each cabinet door.
  5. Offset each copy the width of each cabinet (in my case 24").

Kind of hard to understand by explaining through text...so maybe I'll make a video sometime.

Either way attached is the plan of the cabinet, so feel free and look at it.

post-237-0-88233800-1449005637_thumb.jpg

Untitled 3.plan

• Upvote 1

Never mind, on closer inspection with a wilder wood it is not working

yes global symbol mapping and stretch to fit in the material dbx- may want to change the scale of the image or get a bigger one depending on how fussy you want to be. This one is made from a single cabinet that has been split.

then again-appears to work with rustic maple- on both single split cabinet or 4 separate ones

post-85-0-52029200-1449006575_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-99685100-1449007581_thumb.jpg

Hi, I have just migrated over from the the Hometalk forum since upgrading to CA X7 and I need some help with this issue if I may folks.

I am designing a custom tv cabinet for a client. Everything is going according to plan except one small yet important detail. I have constructed the unit out of 8 separate mini cabinets in order to achieve the final result. Top row housing all the components are drawers with smoked glass front panels and below each are double drawers with wooden panels. I would like the cabinet to appear as if the entire front (wood ) part is a single piece of wood that has been cut into the different drawers. Like a puzzle so to speak. 

Unfortunately no matter what wood finish I apply or how much I tweak the material settings it always applies the changes to each individual drawer. `Any advice ?

Many thanks

Join the X8 BETA program.