Need For Speed

bdottley

I do a lot of ray tracing, and many times I will want to change one little thing when it gets all done. The settings I have now are what I want, what I need to know is what do I need to buy to make my ray traces lightning fast? Can it be done? Im talking 5 minute Ray traces with 10 or so passes!! With ambient occlusion, environmental light, photon mapping, computing caustics. Lets say money is no object because lets face it, time is money and I don't have the time to sit and babysit ray traces for 30-45 minutes a piece. Give me your dream Computer lineup, maybe an upgrade to what I have now? Hmm I'm not even sure if my specs are listed. I am no computer expert nor would I claim to know any more about computers than any 5 year old today, but I want to know (from people who know computers? or not) what's the best thing out there to run chief to its fullest potential.

Thanks!

The more cores the better. Next month Intell is bringing out their 8 core processors. If you want speed I'd wait and start with one of them. Of course you might have to go to the bank. I haven't read up enough about them to know the cost of the processor. but I'd bet they will be +$1000.00 If you have the "Need For Speed" then money is no object.  :)

I've got a dual Xeon processor setup (check my sig) and they are overclocked and move more data (giga flops) than the fastest single Xeon Processor by a very small margin but are they fast at RayTracing? MUCH faster (close to half the time) than my previous i7, can't remember which but an earlier model that was overclocked as well. But is it fast? No way to really tell without a test plan and all the details that that involves. I got a really good deal ($2500) on the set-up so I jumped but I would not expect blazing speed unless you really spend a boatload on fast(er) dual Xeons.

Also remember that not all Motherboards allow Xeons to be over-clocked so a real world test of some kind is in order before spending the cash. The person who built my machine  suggested the Xeons he had on hand after I told him that RayTracing is about CPU and moving data. Overall i'm happy with the system but certainly not blown away by the speed increase.

I think it would still take that boatload of money to get real breakthrough RayTrace speed with today's technology - at least until they find a way to offload the RT work to the GPU - that's when the game will change completely.

I found a PC maker that will make you a very fast computer; the company is Digital Storm https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=909571&workstation=1   You said money was no object.

24-Core
ULTIMATE

$14,426
tech-xeon-quadro.png 

Specs:
- Intel Xeon 24-Core E5-2697 v2
- 64GB 1866MHz Memory
- NVIDIA Quadro K5000 4GB
- 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
- 4TB 7200RPM Storage HDD
- CPU Liquid Cooling
- ASUS X79 Chipset Motherboard

Here's a Digital Storm work stations for a little less money It's called the Slade. http://www.digitalstormonline.com/slade.asp?workstation=1   Again money is no object.

12-Core
ULTIMATE

$8,765
As Configured
Customize
tech-xeon-quadro.png

Specs:
- Intel Xeon 12-Core E5-2697 v2
- 64GB 1866MHz Memory
- NVIDIA Quadro K5000 4GB
- 512GB Samsung 840 Pro
- 4TB 7200RPM Storage HDD
- 120mm CPU Liquid Cooling
- ASUS X79 Chipset Motherboard

DS makes a nice box...  Just swap out that K5000 for a Titan Black 8GB (no SLI.  There is no benefit of CA w/SLI.  Just like there is no benefit of a K5000 with Chief) and you have one screaming Chiefing machine. for under $10K

Now that's a deal.

jon