Walk-In Closet

monicalkern

Hi, we have decided to build a walk-in closet in our living room. Our architecture says that a walk-in should be at least 10'x12'or we won't be able to sell the house.

To be frank, I don't care about resale value and I don't want an extra large walk-in too, especially our current master closet for storage is still there.  I contacted a serviceman from GTA closet and he said me some measurement details and all. So I need suggestions from you people those who have experience with Custom Bedroom Closets.

I say build what you want its your home, I had an Aunt I but for years ago and people sId she had to build a 3 bedroom for resale well I talked her into building what she wanted and we did, she has passed on and as executive of the estate the house was sold in a week, so enjoy what you want not what the next person does, and the house was sold at appraised value with no bargaining, as on car dealer told me one time there is an a-- for every seat

Good luck enjoy what you want not what someone else does

The design should compliment the room.  I have found a minimum width of 5'6" will work.  Enough room for shelves/hanging on each side and room enough to walk in between.  A lot of closet systems are 14" deep so maybe 6' wide is better.  After that it is about the entrance door/no door etc.  Use uncommon sense.  Common sense is in short supply!  ;o)

The design should compliment the room.  I have found a minimum width of 5'6" will work. .....

I agree with Dennis,  maybe 5'-4" wide minimum,  6' is better,  7' wide is ideal.  Make it as deep as you want.  If you want to keep a 747 inside the closet,  a 10' x 12' closet would be apropos.

If all you're planning to do is build shelves with hanging rods, then 24" minimum on each side of the aisle; make the aisle width what is comfortable for you, but 24" would again be my suggested minimum. If you are planning a more complex project, this PDF guide from Canyon Creek explains almost everything you need to know:

Closet Design Guidelines.pdf

A HUGE variable here is the size of your existing house. If you're in a $3,000,000 10,000 square foot house with a 40' x 40' master suite then your architect is probably right. If you're in a 1,500 square foot starter home I personally see no reason for a walk-in closet at all.

I tend to agree with Michael.  Walk in Closets are nice if you have the extra space.  But it takes at least a 7'x5' deep Walk-In to equal the hanging space in (2) 2'x5' linear closets.  IOW, 35 sq.ft. vs 20 sq.ft. 

OTOH, if you have the space for a larger Walk-In you can have dressing areas, a bench, mirrors, etc inside rather than take up room in the bedroom or bath for those items.

So sometimes the best solution isn't a Walk-In and sometimes it is.  It's all a matter of what works best and looks best.

I tend to agree with Michael.  Walk in Closets are nice if you have the extra space.  But it takes at least a 7'x5' deep Walk-In to equal the hanging space in (2) 2'x5' linear closets.  IOW, 45 sq.ft. vs 20 sq.ft. 

OTOH, if you have the space for a larger Walk-In you can have dressing areas, a bench, mirrors, etc inside rather than take up room in the bedroom or bath for those items.

So sometimes the best solution isn't a Walk-In and sometimes it is.  It's all a matter of what works best and looks best.

7' x 5' =  errrrrrr  35 s.f.,  not 45 s.f.,    hey P.,  I caught Joe making a mistake.

What is the square footage of your home? I recently designed, and built a spec house (ranch) that was 2,556 sq. ft. with a master W.I.C. that was 8' x 14' with a 12'-0" ceiling. That home sold in a few weeks. The master on that home was 14' x 16' and the feedback from our clients was that it wasn't big enough for that house  :wacko: Below is a picture of that house. post-58-0-97908200-1449006799_thumb.jpg

What is the square footage of your home? I recently designed, and built a spec house (ranch) that was 2,556 sq. ft. with a master W.I.C. that was 8' x 14' with a 12'-0" ceiling. That home sold in a few weeks. The master on that home was 14' x 16' and the feedback from our clients was that it wasn't big enough for that house  :wacko: Below is a picture of that house. attachicon.gifIMG_0859.JPG

I think a 15' x 17' master is ideal for that house.  14' x 16' is not that far off.....  it also depends on how much wall space you have.  But I could live in that size m. bed and I think the closet is a nice size to for that size house......  everything can always be bigger.  Good looking house.