How Do I Get The Tile To Show On Top Of The Lower Tiled Wall Of A Tile/glass Pony Shower Wall?

Fun2Learn

I hope someone here can please help me before I waste too much more time trying to figure this out on my own!! I need to finish off the top of the lower portion of a tile/glass "pony" shower wall. In camera view I see the inside of the lower wall (the wood framing, in other words.) I would like to have the tile cover the top of the wall.  I am working alongside the the "Chief Architect X7 Bathroom Webinar" I found on youtube, and in the video the tile/glass pony wall seemed to automatically finish the top of the lower wall with tile. I can't seem to figure out how to get mine to do the same!!! 

Thanks, everyone.

post-1112-0-43316700-1448827566_thumb.jpg

I usually do what Perry does or I make it a solid railing wall and change the materials for the top rail and change the drywall to tile. You have more flexibility using a solid though. I use a glass wall for the glass or I use symbols I made for the glass panels and glass door. Several ways to do this.

Thanks, everyone. So I understand from your answers, then, that there is no way to specify the top "cap" for the lower part of a pony wall in the materials or wall types, etc. So I guess I have to put it in manually as a p-solid or countertop. <_< (I wonder how they did it in the webinar video?)

Graham, can you explain what you mean by using partitions for shower enclosures--do you mean interior walls?

Perry and Tommy- I did try putting in tile for the top rail on the materials tab, but nothing changed! Is that what you meant? Does that only work if you use a half wall and then draw a glass wall on top of that? (I never tried to draw one wall on top of a half wall in Chief--does that work?)

Thanks again, everyone. :)

Thanks, everyone. So I understand from your answers, then, that there is no way to specify the top "cap" for the lower part of a pony wall in the materials or wall types, etc. So I guess I have to put it in manually as a p-solid or countertop. <_< (I wonder how they did it in the webinar video?)

Graham, can you explain what you mean by using partitions for shower enclosures--do you mean interior walls?

Perry and Tommy- I did try putting in tile for the top rail on the materials tab, but nothing changed! Is that what you meant? Does that only work if you use a half wall and then draw a glass wall on top of that? (I never tried to draw one wall on top of a half wall in Chief--does that work?)

Thanks again, everyone. :)

I use the partition under cabinets. When I use this technique every element can not only be controlled as far as size, position & material but every element can be dimensioned. Just depends on the detail you require.

Graham

DRAWZILLA, on 01 Dec 2015 - 5:07 PM, said:

yes it has to be a 1/2 railing wall to work with using a wall

What do you use for the glass on top? Can you get a shower door in it using the regular door tool?

I just tried this method and, though I set the materials to be tile on the outside, it is showing up as drywall and if I try to change it with the material eyedropper, it changes ALL the drywall (even on the "object" only setting) in the room, except the half wall where I wanted the tile!!! (I did get the top "rail" to show up as tile, however!)

Thanks,

Phyllis

You can use 2 walls, one F.H. glass wall, that a door will work in, and a 1/2" railing wall set to have "no room definition" on top of each other also. two walls in one space. Several ways of doing it.

Hi Perry. Thanks again for the info. I just tried that method and can't get both walls to be in the same place at the same time!!! What ever is the last wall to be drawn or moved into place seems to take precedent and the other wall disappears!  I even tried raising up the bottom of the full-height glass wall first, before drawing the 1/2 height wall beneath it, but the glass wall still disappeared.  What is your secret ???

Thanks.

Phyllis

• 2 months later...

As the original poster of this question, I want to shout-out a very belated "thank-you" to Perry and Joe Carrick for their videos they posted to help me with this! I guess I got busy (Christmas, etc) and frustrated and gave-up on this shower stall question before I realized that there were a couple more answers posted! I just got back to this tackling this particular issue yesterday and played around with some of the suggestions and finally got it to work, using several ways.  

Perry- at first I couldn't get your method of creating two walls and merging them together, but I copied the steps in your video exactly and finally to it to work-thanks! The only slight problem was that the "top rail" (tile in this case) on the half-wall wants to have a slight overhang at the end. I can eliminate the ones on the sides by controlling the width of the top rail, but not sure how to control the overhang off of the end.

Joe- (and Visual D& D had a similar suggestion) -I tried changing the lower part of the pony wall to just one solid, 4" thick tile, but the wall definition box wouldn't let me delete the stud framing, even if I tried to make it a "masonry type" or "other" wall type (in the drop-down menu), so I just made it 0" thick. It looks ok in view, but it wants to put the glass centered over the 0" stud! (which puts it at the edge of the lower tile wall!) I tried making a 2" thick tile on the inside and a 2" thick tile on the exterior (still keeping the stud at 0" thick), and that seemed to fix the glass centering problem. How do you eliminate having to have a stud in there somewhere? Or did I misunderstand you all?

Several of you had suggested just adding a polyline countertop or solid to cap the lower pony wall, which does work, but I had a hard time getting the angle right, and then if you change the pony wall, the poly-solid doesn't automatically move with it, but it is an option.

I am just wondering how Chief got the lower pony wall to have a tile cap automatically using the "interior tile" wall  type for the lower pony wall, as they did in their Chief Architect X7 bathroom webinar video! !! Here is a link if anyone is interested:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql5CM-6gVBQ The shower wall layout starts about 9:40.

Maybe I should just ask Chief, but my SSA has expired and I can't afford to renew it right now (I am not even making any money off Chief yet, as I am still trying to learn it in my free time!  And, shortly after my SSA expired, X8 WOULD have to come out having all the great improvements to stairs that I had been wanting!!!!)

Thanks again!