Screen Resolution Problem On 75" , 4K, Smart Tv

mikes616

The GeForce line from the 660 and up have 4k capability, including the Titan series.

Johnny makes a good point concerning image quality on a Tv versus a true monitor. Keep in mind that on a very large screen Tv that those pixels are spread out over a very large area. Sharpness is a function of pixel density, the bigger the screen the more pixels just to keep the same image quality.

Graham

The GeForce line from the 660 and up have 4k capability, including the Titan series.

Johnny makes a good point concerning image quality on a Tv versus a true monitor. Keep in mind that on a very large screen Tv that those pixels are spread out over a very large area. Sharpness is a function of pixel density, the bigger the screen the more pixels just to keep the same image quality.

Graham

I should have clarified the term "true".  Yes,  other cards can display at 4k, but the buffering required creates a delay.  I suppose for the type of work we're talking about it may be fine, but running anything past 30 FPS only 2 cards can do that - Nvidia’s Titan X and AMD’s dual-GPU Radeon R9 295x2.

Any other card that can "handled" 4k is taxing it to a point where you are talking 16-20 FPS which is noticeably slow.   So if you are rotating a high res 3D model its going to jump around a bit (but again, maybe this is fine).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2906385/4k-monitors-everything-you-need-to-know-about-ultrahd-pc-displays.html

Hi Johnny, I'm in full agreement. Having the capacity for 4K and actually delivering acceptable performance are two distinctly different parameters. I understand that from other postings that some users who have gone the 4K route have been experiencing performance related issues. That's a lot of pixels to crunch and without some top notch hardware one is likely to experience some lag, especially if they are multi-tasking at the same time. Just imagine running a video, having a Raytrace running in the background while working in Chiefs camera view.

Graham

New Mac Pros will support 4K.

"

• Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colors.
  • Thunderbolt digital video output
  • Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI, and HDMI output supported using Mini DisplayPort adapters (sold separately)
  • Support for up to 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz on a single external display (model with AMD Radeon R9 M370X only)"
  •  

Same for me. Just use my TV for client presentations. TVs are designed to be viewed from a certain minimum distance, not conducive in a work desk/station environment. If you are too close you will likely experience eye strain and as mentioned above you tend to have to keep moving your head a lot to focus on a particular region of the screen. With a regular sized true monitor everything is within your field of vision. Bigger is not always better!!!

Graham