Laptop Selection

NashvilleDavid

I do not have the chief architect software yet, but I am looking at laptops to run the software on. My question is: when you are using the software, how often do you need to input numbers, like dimension numbers? Is there a benefit to having a separate numbers keypad that is all together in one place instead of spread out across the top of the keyboard?

Dimensioning is mostly automatic. You will however need to enter numbers in dialog boxes to define other sizing parameters. If you prefer using a numeric keypad then it may be best to purchase a separate standalone unit, that way your choice of laptop will not be so restrictive. All depends on how you like to work.

Graham

USB number  keypads are available, but the real question you need to consider is screen size.  If you get a Laptop with a 17" screen (highly recommended) it will most assuredly have a built-in number keypad.

Also, make sure you get a Laptop with a good Video Card with at least 2GB onboard memory.

I'll throw another vote out there for ASUS as well.  I love my G751.  I had a higher end MSI gaming laptop get stolen and my wife bought me the ASUS for Christmas as a replacement.  It was notably cheaper than the MSI but was the best one available locally, and as it turns out I couldn't be happier with it. 

Wow Jon, $3600 for a Laptop...  I primarily use my Desktop for Chief and then my MacBook pro 15 for client presentations.  Do you do all your work on the ASUS?  Still using a #2 Pencil as well, I have kids so I can't seem to keep them around so I switched to the IPad and a Disto.

Chris