Need Round Hole In Countertop For Round Tub

dshall

Scott,

Open the Symbol (not with the regular "Open" tool, but with the "Open Symbol" tool), then go to options and change the Special Placement to "None".

Then draw your elipse to the shape of the tub and convert it to a hole.

See attached.

post-237-0-88450900-1448461246_thumb.png

post-237-0-75502000-1448461252_thumb.png

post-237-0-34515900-1448461261_thumb.png

Scott,

Open the Symbol (not with the regular "Open" tool, but with the "Open Symbol" tool), then go to options and change the Special Placement to "None".

Then draw your elipse to the shape of the tub and convert it to a hole.

See attached.

Thanks Mi Amigo,  that is what I did....  I already had it set to NONE,  I don't know why,  I do not understand what the none does.....  bottom line,  I was hoping to get the tub to cut a hole in countertop WITHOUT USING THE HOLE.  

It seems like it should be possible,  think about an oval bathroom sink,  it auto cuts the oval hole.  It seems to me it has something to do with THE HOLE EMBEDDED within the symbol.

...I was hoping to get the tub to cut a hole in countertop WITHOUT USING THE HOLE.

Oh, OH!...gotcha.

Yeah, sorry can't help you there.  Boy, seems like it would be nice if Chief would create the block border to fit the symbol rather than just making a big rectangle.

Scott,

We've gone over this before.  The symbol must be created with the rectangular surface with the hole in it.  That surface is then automatically made the same material as the countertop so that the rectangular hole is filled.

Joe,  I don't think you offered a solution to the question.

Why can't I make a tub symbol that behaves the same way as an oval sink?  Must I have the rectangle around the oval tub?  I do not want the rectangle because in a tight space,  the rectangular portion pops into the surrounding wall.  

Maybe the solution is to take an oval bathroom sink and make it the same size as a tub.

Scott,

We've gone over this before.  The symbol must be created with the rectangular surface with the hole in it.  That surface is then automatically made the same material as the countertop so that the rectangular hole is filled.

This is my bad.  I do  not remember discussing this,  but the oval bathroom sink DOES have the rectangle.  Joe,  I think I understand that I do not have a good example of the fixture auto cutting an oval,  the oval bathroom sink does not cut the oval but does what you explained.

But then why doesn't the rectangular slab show up when you place the sink free standing?...

I think because that material is OPENING NO MATERIAL,  Joe might have a better explanation.  Jonathan,  take the oval tub out of the liberry,  the one with the deck,  and change the material of the deck to open no material....  it works like a charm.....  what is weird is this morning when I first put the tub in there,  the hole was square....  I must of been doing something wrong.

Some of the information above is incorrect.  You don't need to change your symbol placement to "None".  You don't need to create any magic surfaces as part of your symbol.  You don't need any magic materials.  All you need is to add a custom hole to the symbol's cad block.

By default, a tub or sink symbol will make a rectangular hole.  The program is just not smart enough to figure out that you want a shaped hole and generate this for you automatically.

If you want a shaped hole, then you need to create your own custom hole and make it part of the cad block used for the tub or sink.  The process for doing this is actually pretty simple:

- Use the Cad Block Management dialog to insert your symbol's cad block into a plan and then explode it.

- Draw your custom hole as a polyline.  You can use an ellipse and then use the Convert Curve to Polyline tool to make it a polyline.

- Use the Convert Polyline tool to change the polyline into a custom counter top.

- Open the custom counter top and make it a hole.

- Block your custom counter top hole with the other cad that was in your original cad block.

- Name your cad block something that will make sense.

- Use the Open Symbol dialog to assign your new cad block containing your custom counter top hole to your tub symbol.

If you want a shaped hole, then you need to create your own custom hole and make it part of the cad block used for the tub or sink.  The process for doing this is actually pretty simple:

This is very weird. I've always thought of a CAD block as purely CAD objects - no smart objects like a countertop hole. It makes me wonder what other smart objects I can embed into a CAD block, and will they behave as expected if they aren't assigned to a symbol?

Dermot,

So you're saying that the 3D Object "Custom Countertop Hole" in the 2D Block over-rides the 3D Symbol for cutting the hole.  I'm not sure your method is easier but it is an alternative.  Basically blocking a "Custom Countertop Hole" with the 2D Block to get the functionality.

...... terrain holes are the ... special objects we currently allow to be part of a symbol's cad block.  Eventually, we would like to extend this functionality to include all other types of holes.

How is this helpful,  maybe for a well,  a sunken exterior spa,  a pool.....  there must be more useful functions of this...  if I thought some more,  I could probably think of some.