Split Level with one roof

Dennis_Gavin

What do you think is the best method to created this split level?  With a standard split there are two roofs.  But with one roof would you create one roof plane on the 1st floor and one on the 2nd?  Or have both on first and set one plane to display on the 2nd?  Or put both on 2nd adjusting the height of the base for the main floor/living area?

I am thinking the main level and lower level on one floor and the 2nd bedroom level on the 2nd floor.  But the roof?

post-132-0-96062300-1448301623_thumb.jpg

I have not done one of these in CA but have always done the living and bedroom levels on the main floor plan and the lower level & basement (or crawl space) on the foundation plan in my other program. This allowed the roof planes to work properly. I am waiting for responses to your question to see if I have to do it different in Chief.

Have you tried it yet (specifically with auto roofs to see where Chief places them)? I seem to recall having done that style of roof with auto roofs turned on...easy peasy as I recall but I don't remember which floor the roofs were created on. Away from my computer or I would test it.

I am thinking Sherry has the best approach.  Have not done it yet. Was waiting on "opinions"!  ;o)

There is a crawl under the main floor that has the same floor height as the lower living area but of

course different ceiling heights. 

I am going tomorrow to do measurements and photos.  Just did this mock up for reference purposes.

Thanks for the input folks.

Dennis,

Sherry's method will work well for your configuration.  But Chief doesn't include Floor 0 Living Area in calculations    using custom user macros.  This is because the Room Default Label is not assigned to the Exterior Room on Floor 0.

So you might want to use Floor 1 for the Garage and lower level Living Spaces and limit Floor 0 to just the Foundation.

Thanks Joe, I am starting to understand why some people only do the foundation on Level 0 and put the Lower level rooms on Level 1. I do like using the living area macros and could not do that with my current method. Hopefully I will get some time on a basic drawing to do a trial run on this style of working.

Sherry,

I find that the "Mono Slab" Foundation works pretty well for this. Chief always builds the Foundation on Floor 0.  Such a Foundation has no Living Area.

In addition, it's a whole lot easier to include a Slab Floor as a part of the Foundation and not have to fuss with a separate slab.

Then the Basement (Full or Walkout) on Floor 1 can have spaces designated as Living or Non-Living and the Living Areas will be reported correctly using my "Living Area Bonus" package.

Basically, if there's usable space (Garage, Living Space, etc) on the lower level I use Floor 1.  If it's just a "Crawl Space" without a slab floor I will use Floor 0 and it's just the "Foundation".  The only problem is in Labeling Floors but I label my Floors as "Basement", "First Floor", "Second Floor", etc.  I don't use "Floor 0", "Floor 1", "Floor 2", etc.