How to draw Keuka deck post? VERY FANCY

VinnieVicon

Hello All, I'm building a deck for a great client and they want Keuka Cable Rail. Chief doesn't have this rail system in the library. Can anyone direct me to where I can download this system,if not how can I make this post and cable rail in Chief. We need to stretch our design wings. See attached photos

Vinnie

post-368-0-98919100-1397692652_thumb.jpg

post-368-0-20744400-1397692676_thumb.jpg

Didn't DMDz make something like this ? maybe on the old forum or his site....don't think I have it but will check as I am still not sure how it passes code since it is "climb-able".

M.

Update:

He did do something very similar , here is the post on the old forum , it includes a 40 " section with 2 posts and cables ,( resizable) and the post and cables as separate elements.

it actually looks like the Chicago Rail I think:   http://www.keuka-studios.com/the-chicago-style.aspx

DMDz' s Library 

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?23366-One-New-FREE-Symbol-Each-Week&p=293835&highlight=railing#post293835

Very kewl.

What did you use for modeling the newel?

This one is a wonderful display of what can be done with the molding tool.  Stacking up the cables, each with its offset and height done to follow the curve, is a great way of using the Chief tool.

It looks to me like you built the deck with railings then made the invisible and the attached the Keuka rails to the band joist. The problem I'm having is getting the post and cable into my library from your model. Any thoughts?

Vinnie

I modeled the newel from the 2D cad file that the manufacturer is kind enough to have on their website. Then imported as a "millwork" symbol that can be added to the library and used in a system railing that is visible. But I like getting exacting results in a short time. Don't like to fuss too much. I detached a single segment for the railing and blocked "architectural block" which can be added to the library. So you need to unblock from library and then you drag past corners adding breaks at corners and insure snapping is getting you exact. I have attached the two parts in a library here. Glad you guys like it!

Keuka Cable Rail.zip

• Upvote 2