layout line weight- going insane

Lighthouse

I've wasted 2 hours on this one so far--   I sent a 15 page layout to be printed as individual pdf's.   14 of them look fine, one of them the line weights are too light.  I have looked at the details that are on that page (that is too light) and they have identical settings to ones on other pages that look fine.  I've tried sending it to different layout pages but get the same result- this one page of details seems to print at a different line weight.

For the sake of simplicity, I have recreated the problem in a one page layout.  I have included the following, in case anyone can take a look at it:

The plan (xxxx) that is sent to the layout

The layout (xxxx layout)

The pdf of the layout.  (I can't upload this for some reason so I will upload it in another post)

Note:  the item shown on the layout is a cad detail called "section 4" in the plan.  When section 4 is open, detail #14 in the center of the page was sent to the layout at 1 1/2" scale.  I have put some notes on detail 14 indicating the line weight of a couple items and how they appear wrong in the pdf.

Thanks much to anyone that can help!

xxxx.zip

layout.zip

Is #14 the only view that is too light? Have you sent other views of that CAD detail that do print darker? What have you tried so far that "didn't work"?

Each line and poly-line can be opened and its line weight increased or decreased or you can marquee-select and alter all the line weights and they then lighten or darken depending upon the edited line weight value.

I repeat, what did you do that did not work?

DJP

I downloaded your PDF, plan and layout files and could effect no change either. I would then recommend that you send your files (all three) to Tech Support along with a detailed explanation for them to consider. It does appear to be a bug of some kind or at least beyond normal editing.

DJP

So I notice when I zoom in on the pdf, the 2x4's on the right do infact begin to "appear" lighter than the one's on the left. Just as an experiment, what will happen to your 2x4's if you delete everything else?

Furthermore, will it actually print incorrectly? If it prints just fine, then it might be an issue with how Acrobat is handing the file.

...You also seem to create a new layout set every time you send something, which in my view creates an awful mess.

This opinion seems to be the consensus amongst the most vocal users here, but I have to totally disagree.  I love "Make Copy Of Active Layerset".  Having a different layerset for every view sent to layout makes controlling what displays for any given view a breeze without worrying about how it will affect other views.  Only caveat is that when you have a ton of these copies it becomes best to just access the plan through the layout (a good practice in my opinion anyway because then you know for certain what view you are affecting). 

......  I love "Make Copy Of Active Layerset".  Having a different layerset for every view sent to layout makes controlling what displays for any given view a breeze without worrying about how it will affect other views. ......

I think Michael and I have similar thought processes,  however I disagree with this.  Many of the power users use the TEMPLATE or SAM method and the views ARE ALREADY IN LAYOUT.  There is no reason to send a view sine the view is already in layout.

But I do understand Michaels thinking,  but I think there is a better way.

I think Michael and I have similar thought processes,  however I disagree with this.  Many of the power users use the TEMPLATE or SAM method and the views ARE ALREADY IN LAYOUT.  There is no reason to send a view sine the view is already in layout.

But I do understand Michaels thinking,  but I think there is a better way.

This makes sense if a person is doing full construction plans on a regular basis where the basic layout doesn't vary a whole lot.  I personally do mostly kitchens, bathrooms, and remodels, and every one of those varies wildly with regard to what views I need to send to layout and what details I might need to draw up, and most of the plans I draw up are cabinetry plans which can be anywhere from 2 to 40 pages long and contain the same number of views.  I've only efficiently been able to use the SAM or standard template methods with a small number of projects. 

My Sam / Template plan is about 20+ pages and has everything I might need with any given job on it. It's a lot easier to delete, than create things. With the auto sheet index and auto section/ elevation pages, I can delete a lot and it's still good to go.