Layout Box Layer Set on Layout Page?

RodCole

Does anyone know of a way to have the Layout Box Layer Set show on the Layout page next to the Layout Box.

I do not want it to print, I just want it to show the Layer Set for informational purposes while I am working with the plan.  I intend to turn it off when printing.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Rod, I'm not sure what you are asking for.  Do you want the name of the Layerset associated with a specific Layout Box?

If you're looking for something like the attached pic, right click on the Layout Box, select "Layout Box Layers..." and use snippit to create a pic that you can save and then display with your favorite jpg viewer.

post-47-0-70743000-1397621771_thumb.jpg

Yes.  There is a built in macro for the layer set name.  The easiest way to do this is to use the layout box label.  Change it from auto to specify and then use the insert macro tool to pick the layer set name (%layer_set%).  Just make sure to turn off the layout box labels before you print.  If you still want the normal label to print, then I think you need to setup your own macro to show you the info.

What I am wanting to do is have a live text object that displays the current Layer Set of the Layout Box.  I want this to be on the layout page next to the Layout Box.  Yes, I would place this text item on a separate layer so I could monitor the status while working on the plan, and later turn it off for printing.

I already use the Layout Box Label for what I refer to as a circular reference.  That is, I place a \ S-# for the location of the callout in plan view that a particular detail view was sent from.  One of those old school type of things that I can see some value in when plans are viewed electronically.  As in, no sheets of paper to shuffle through.

I suppose I could append the text macro to the Layout Box Label, and then delete it when the project is ready to print, but I would really rather have it as a separate text item that I can use later for quick reference.

Any ideas on how I would go about setting up a macro for this purpose.  The Text Leader Line would be perfect, but the %layer_set% is not in the list of available options in the layout group and I do not see a way to add a custom macro.

Thanks for the help guys.

Just in case someone else was interested in this topic I thought I might add a bit more info.

AS KT noted above, you can use the Layout Box Label.  But that is not exactly what I thought I wanted.  In the mean time I tried out a few things and found that I can use the camera name as needed with the LBL set to automatic and it show as desired.  There is an option to Specify the Label that allows the %layer_set% to be appended to the end of the Label.  That way I can quickly see that the layerset  is correct when working on the plan.

This works, and it is live as well.  I do have to uncheck the Specify Label for each Layout Box Label, but that is ok if there are no other options.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.  Gerry, I will have to give your idea a try later.  If it works like I think it should, that would be the way to go.

I'm not sure what Gerry said or did but he obviously knows a lot more about macros then I do. 

I don't think you need to do anything very complicated to get what you want.  This is how I did it: 

I created a new macro called "layer set" in the text macro management dialog.  All the macro has in it is "layer_set" (without the quotes).  I also checked "evaluate" and made sure it was set to "referenced object".

I created a text object on the layout page with an arrow attached to the layout box.  In the text object I used my new macro.

You now have text that displays the layer set name that you can turn on/off using your layers.

Easy peasy (once I figured out how to make the macro).

post-844-0-38413300-1397673918_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

While on the subject of Layout Layersets:

Assume that I have many details to send to layout and I've created them all with the same Layerset in a single Plan File.  Is there any advantage in "Copy Current Layerset" or is it just a way to clutter my Plan File with multiple Layersets?

Wouldn't it be better in that case to uncheck that box so that all details have the same line weights, line styles and colors.  Then if that Layerset is modified in the Plan File, the changes will be to all the details rather than having to edit multiple (20 +/-) layersets?

That is in a round about way what I am working on now Joe, but not related to CAD Details as your other threads tend to indicate.  This has to do with camera views that are converted to callouts.  In principle it seems very similar to me, but the means to accomplish them are quite different.

This process is my way of organizing live camera views rather than a great many CAD Details.  Not an easy proposition, but it is kind of like the hoops I had to jump through to get the Layer Filtering to work.  Once I had things working the way Chief intended it works great.

In essence you need generic Anno Sets for standard scale and LS or Large Scale Views, and with X6 the callouts automatically update.  The CAD Detail approach does not have the same auto updating capability, and it is not a true representation of the live model.  This gets back to why I want to see the Layerset when working, but not print.  Takes up space and is not relevant to anyone but me.  But, I do want it for what I call bookkeeping.

If I understand you correctly, then, what I call generic layerset will work for any Layout Views that use those exact settings.  In my way of looking at it there is no reason to copy and rename the layerset in Layout unless you need something different.  That is why I want to see the layerset that is assigned to the Layout View.  That way I know instantly if it is generic or unique for that view.  The Layout Box Label is actually working better than I thought it might.  Just needs to be set up initially and you can window around a whole page of views at a time and switch from an automatic label to specific.

What I am working on now is in essence a paper trail, or circular reference relating the converted camera to callout  in plan view to the label on the Layout View.  This is actually working for what I want with the exception of having to edit the \ A-## after the pages have settled in.  In my mind it is worth it though, but I would much rather find a way that this was automatic as well.

edit:  Your question regarding unchecking the copy Layersets when sending to Layout is correct.  Send the generic to Layout, and then copy the layerset and add some type of identifier code.  But, as you pointed out, this should only be done when req'd.  I don't like the copy thing where you get Layout blah blah blah.  I often don't really know if I will need a unique layerset when I am sending to layout.  I would much rather have the generic for the reason you point out, and when and only when I have a real need for a unique layer set, then copy and edit the name.  Then make whatever changes are needed.

I just had an idea.  Don't know why I never thought of it before, but here it is.

Rather than Sending to layout directly from a CAD Detail, why not create a camera view and convert to callout.  The details could then be placed on the CS view and sent to layout from there.  This would allow for automatic labeling, and you would only need to place the details that were actually need there.  This also provides a plan callout that gives the page the detail is located on.

What I am trying to organize are the various types of drawings that CA can handel.  First are the live camera views.  CA X6 has some impressive tools in this regard as far as Layout is concerned.  But, as good as the modeling in CA is, it is also far behind the rest of the crowd where it comes to solid modeling and the related views.  Then there are the generic CAD Details.

I think of this as live, aux, and dead.  That is CA cameras, supporting apps that can add meaningful detail without importing the geometry as such, and the obviously doornail CAD Details.  Each has a valuable role to play so far as I can see.  What I would like to do is have all of these various drawings under one system of drawing details that follow basic industry drawing standards.  Seems to me that using the camera may be the way to go.

Just an idea, have not tried it yet, but it does have some interesting benefits.

Rod,

Taking this one level further - Detail Callouts tied to Schedule Fields.   IOW, reference a detail and have that filled in on a column in the Door or Window Schedule (Head, Jamb, Sill) or in the Finish Schedule (Moldings - Crown, Chair Rail, Base), etc.

I am already putting those references in the Schedules - always have even when doing manual drafting - but I still have to fill them in manually with Chief.  It would be great if I could just pick a Door (either in Plan or Schedule - maybe select a Schedule field) and then click on the Layout Detail to fill in the Schedule data.

Yes, I can see how that would be very good for doors and windows, but for standard Detail Views having a callout would be helpfull as well.

What I really like about this is that it is not just for paper prints.  Say someone in the field using a tablet clicked on the schedule field in question and opened the detail view.  CA can do this now with a camera or a Layout view, don't see why this would not be feasable.

That is one of the main reason that I want a circular reference.  In the old days of hand drawing it was fairly common to have both page numbers on the callout.  Now with the new coding requirements that is not at all practical.

Say you were in the field and all you had was a tablet to work with, you can no longer hold one hand on the callout page and flip to the detail in question.  From the detail view page you would have no clue where to look for the callout.  Not that far fetched IMO, be here sooner than we think.  That is why I am organizing things they way I am now in anticipation of this happening.

From what little bit I know about SketchUP, providing automation through the use of custom macros seems to be the way things are heading.  Chief needs to provide better access to the information we need so we can accomplish these sorts of things.

In my case though, it may just be a lack of experience on my part.

In the other thread Bill said he is using a similar concept for his detail drawings using the camera views.