Grass roofs

ED-209

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a grass roof with some flowers on it. I can change the roof plane's texture to grass no problem, but it won't let me add any items to the roof.

Apart from changing the default height from the floor for every single flower, is there any (quick) way I can add flowers to the roof? Or have another "secondary" piece of terrain the goes over the house?

Many thanks,

Ed

Symbol - Sits on Roof in the symbol dbx, options panel

You can even create a distribution region and assign the flowers as the distributed object.

The only 2 options I get for Symbol are "Get last symbol" or "Convert to symbol", plus I have NO idea what a "distribution region" is.

OK, so:

Select a Plant, then click on the little chair on the Edit Toolbar.  That will open the Symbol dbx.

Select Options and click on "Sits on Roof".

Open Help and enter "Distribution Region" to learn about this tool.

You are obviously new to Chief and need to do some studying to learn some of the features that are available.  The F1 key is your friend.

• Upvote 1

OK, so:

Select a Plant, then click on the little chair on the Edit Toolbar.  That will open the Symbol dbx.

Select Options and click on "Sits on Roof".

Open Help and enter "Distribution Region" to learn about this tool.

You are obviously new to Chief and need to do some studying to learn some of the features that are available.  The F1 key is your friend.

I am very new indeed, but I'm slightly familiar with the "open symbol" key. The issue is that that option doesn't come up for the flowers, as they're images not symbols. I even tried sticking 2 flowers together to create a new symbol, but it wasn't having any of it.

You could try some simple 3D Plants, of use a few solids to simulate plants and convert those to symbols.  Try to keep the face count down, but remember that a "distributed object" will not be too bad because Chief uses "instancing" for multiple copies.

Chief has both Plant Images and 3D Plants.

You could try some simple 3D Plants, of use a few solids to simulate plants and convert those to symbols.  Try to keep the face count down, but remember that a "distributed object" will not be too bad because Chief uses "instancing" for multiple copies.

Chief has both Plant Images and 3D Plants.The problem is Chief has loads of plant images, but hardly any symbols. I'm after specific species, but there's nowhere online that does any real selections. I've just typed in "poppy" into 3D Warehouse and all I got were war memorials.

Ed,

Post some pics of what you want.  I'll try to make something that will approximate that in 3D.

That's really kind of you mate, but I'm after about 20-30 different species, so don't worry, you'll go blind otherwise!!

As for the distribution thing, I didn't even understand the help section, it was all Greek to me.

This was an other difficult assignment and still remains to be so, until some one comes up with a true solution for all scenarios. But for simple roofs like this, I have run through my workflow department and got satisfactory result.

That's a bit more like what I'm after; is that terrain on the roof? If so, how did you do that?

Thanks.