making a roof attached to the house that acts as a gazebo

MaryAnne

I am trying to make a roof that is attached to a 2 storey home that will act as a roof only because it is supported by pillars to act as "covered gazebo" when exiting the house from patio doors. I do not know how to do this. The roof is to be attached to the first floor only and is not part of the second floor roof. Could this be explained to me. Thank you very much!

Mary Anne- Home Design On A Budget :unsure:

Mary Anne, post your plan to the forum and a sketch of what you are wanting. This is a very easy thing to achieve by either drawing the roof manually or setting up some temporary (or invisible) walls for the roof to auto build. There are many different kinds of roofs so your question becomes a little vague without a drawing.

Mary Anne:

Welcome to ChiefTalk.

I think that if you connect your Gazebo to the house with railing walls, you can accomplish what you are trying to do.  Make sure that the room created by the railing walls is checked for roof above (and possibly a ceiling depending on the design spec's).  The railing wall newels can extend up to a beam supporting your roof.  You can resize the newels in the dialog when opened.  You can also change the style of newel if you don't want to use a fancier one from the library.  Study up on railing walls, porches etc.  I agree with Bill .... watch all the videos you can. There may be some articles on the Help Database site that you can read/study as well.  As Alan said, the best way to get good help is with documentation, whether it is images of what you want to do or an actual plan with your work progress to date. 

Below is a quick sample of what you can do with railing walls.  Both the open front porch as well as the gazebo have railing walls.  The roof was built automatically by Chief. 

post-191-0-41192600-1397606997_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to post some images of your project after you get it built.  Good luck.

PS:  The gazebo shape is very easy to do since Chief provides that for us ... look for "Polygon Shaped Deck" in the deck railing tools.  Pick the number of sides you want and the length of each side.  We used to have to do this in a more cumbersome manner.

My example didn't include a second story but with the gable wall on the side where I attached the gazebo, I hope the OP can see how using the deck tools should work quite well for her.  Hopefully she's making some good progress with her project. 

Below is a quick sample of what you can do with railing walls.  Both the open front porch as well as the gazebo have railing walls.  The roof was built automatically by Chief. 

attachicon.gifGazebo.JPG

Don't forget to post some images of your project after you get it built.  Good luck.

PS:  The gazebo shape is very easy to do since Chief provides that for us ... look for "Polygon Shaped Deck" in the deck railing tools.  Pick the number of sides you want and the length of each side.  We used to have to do this in a more cumbersome manner.

Curt,

That pic is almost exactly what I did on our Cabin at Big Bear Lake.  I modeled in in Chief almost exactly like your pic.  Then I ordered a kit from Amish Country Gazebos and built it.  :)

Mary Anne:

Welcome to ChiefTalk.

I think that if you connect your Gazebo to the house with railing walls, you can accomplish what you are trying to do.  Make sure that the room created by the railing walls is checked for roof above (and possibly a ceiling depending on the design spec's).  The railing wall newels can extend up to a beam supporting your roof.  You can resize the newels in the dialog when opened.  You can also change the style of newel if you don't want to use a fancier one from the library.  Study up on railing walls, porches etc.  I agree with Bill .... watch all the videos you can. There may be some articles on the Help Database site that you can read/study as well.  As Alan said, the best way to get good help is with documentation, whether it is images of what you want to do or an actual plan with your work progress to date. 

attachicon.gifGazebo.JPG

Thank you very much. I am going to try these suggestions. Mary Anne