SSA fee is due, what updates are coming?

Electromen

Just like the Title says,  2015 had a few library updates and a couple of application updates.  What can I expect in 2016 for my $445 renewal?

Should I wait until 201? and pay $645 to upgrade?  I know CA monitors this forum, it would be nice to hear about future plans.

• Downvote 1

but only if X8 arrives before SSA is due

CA rarely gives hints - so what is coming ???

as for skipping a cycle or two or three

if you do finally join back in it will cost more than the amounts you skipped

so you would miss the benefits of X8 and X9 for example and yet pay for them (and more) anyways

there is no benefit to skipping unless you plan to never upgrade again

Lew

Let's hope they overhauled the stairs tool. Hope you've been lightening Chief. That would be a big decision in whether or not I'd renew. Fingers crossed! Lol.

You can always be a beta tester, and then you'd know what was overhauled before anyone else :)

Here is the basic test for whether SSA is worth it:

1. Are you a professional?

2. Are you a hobbyist that is only doing one house and abandoning the software use after that?

If you answer yes to 1 then get the SSA. If you are not making enough money to support the SSA you need a business coach.

I skipped a version a few years ago when I simply could not afford it and didn't regret that decision one bit. I paid the additional upgrade price, which was very fair IMO, and didn't regret that either. My SSA is current now and will be as long as I can afford it but no matter what version I owned I was always capable of getting work out the door.

The thing I've noticed most about the upgrades was not necessarily the added features, because I simply don't find a use for most of them, but more the 'crispness' if you will, of newer versions. This is most certainly due to the work that goes on 'under the hood' with each new release. I have an associate who was using X5 for a long time and whenever I used it was just clunky and cumbersome. Not that many new features in X7 but it's just better is so many small ways.

So my advice is work within your budget. Everyone felt the pain in this business a few short years ago and knows what it's like to not be able to afford even the modest SSA fees but if you can afford it the benefits of the newer versions outweigh just the simple list of added features.

"Hope you've been lightening Chief."

Actually, since we have added so many new features, it is much heavier now. :)

That's what I get for posting on a tablet with "autocorrect" Listening *** and who am I kidding. I'd renew just for the bonus content. Lol

Hey Lew, Hope you're well.

I think my post was a bit clearer than you're making out. There was a time when I lost 2 companies and keeping my home was not a sure thing so paying for SSA wasn't really an option (not sure a business coach would have helped then either) and I didn't really care about updates at that point and the version I had was working great so no big deal at all to skip a version.

I intended to give another view of the "upgrade for sure because it's always the right thing to do" point of view because it just isn't for everyone. And X7 is so capable right now I wouldn't blame anyone if they didn't upgrade until a very compelling feature came along.

And applying for the beta team is a great suggestion if your curiosity can't wait.

I'm all bark and no bite! Lol I've always paid my SSA and always will. I can't wait for the feature list. Every time Chief releases a new version, I feel like a kid on Christmas! Now, if only they would release a new bonus library of ceiling fans, my life would be complete... for now! LOL

For any that thought x7 upgrade was on the lighter side....the multi monitor support was worth it for that alone

I often draw with three full screens going. Transparent fills is a close second....now if we could only cut holes in fills..... :)

Multi monitors came with X6 - just sayin' and X7 was actually on the lighter side as it coinsided with the Mac release which obviously stretched their development staff a bit thin. X8 should be great.

As a new user I'm struggling to learn the current updates new ones are the last thing on my mind unless they are easier to understand and come with good training I do not have to pay an additional amount for. Not sure how long it's been since seasoned users have been through the training videos but many I have watched are not at the X7 level and for a new person that can't 'read between the lines' it makes it more confusing and frustrating. The Ref manual is next, not easy to follow unless you do as a video and open the ton of screens it references and other parts of the manual. I bought a second monitor just so I can do that, I can see how a third would be needed using it to train. Not easy putting it all together using it alone. Of course the other option is pay CA $120/hr for training if you are available on their time zones and can afford it, not likely. SSA gets me a 10% discount off the ridiculous price of training and add the cost of software and cost of learning curve, SSA, pricey. 

I started renting vs trial with monthly fees for doing so incase I wanted to cancel and not loose any more money. I would have by now had I not found this forum and a few that answer questions well and take the time. Thanks! Just paid off my account and wondering if that was a mistake since I have limited times since I run solid based software all day for corporate and CA is taking longer to learn than I thought or was lead to believe.

I'd suggest if CA is after selling more licenses, which you would think, rather than SSAs catch ALL the training videos up to X7/8 and put more staff out here to answer questions as in every question well. Drop the price and need for training to around $50 hour...for that the instructor should know how to teach as well as run CA which is not always the case. Ironically, others look at the $120 and think they can charge $50-100 and are offering a discount and they are not CA staff or have teaching credentials.

Again thanks for all the help on the forums, as soon as get up to speed I'll pay forward. More licenses, more users, more forum, better affordable training, more $ for CA to put out better user friendly software at an affordable price.   ;)