Detail Management - Revisited

Joe_Carrick

Detail Management Systems  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How do you store details?

• In Library Folders and just add to CAD Details as needed
    • In CAD Details in secondary Plan File(s)
    • As separate Floors in secondary Plan File(s)
    • As CAD Details in the Default Plan
    • As predefined Layout Pages
    • In Library Folders and copy directly to Layout Pages
  2. 2. Do you use a Detail Book (Letter Size Sheets)

• Yes - I print most or all details and publish as a Detail Book
    • No - I put all details on Standard Layout Sheets

I've started with a detail from the detail plan file, and copied it into a section view.  I've used the point to point tool to bring it into place, and have adjusted it to fit the current drawing adding more notes along the way.

I don't need to go to this amount of trouble if I just want to use the detail in its original form.  I just cut a section, and place the detail in a blank area or the section view, and just use the section to gain the automatic call out.

post-62-0-45539600-1397691250_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-67915100-1397691325_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-82632600-1397691348_thumb.jpg

Amazing Poll results......

Method 2 is so obviously superior but over 50% use something else.  Almost 50% use method 1 - which I can understand since Chief provided details in the Library.  The problem is that most of those details don't really fit most jobs. 

Another trick I use is to register my details to a grid that relates to the sheet so usually it's only a matter of sending that detail to layout with "Entire Plan View" radio button selected. I can eliminate the step of getting it to align with other details. I developed the system ad-hoc and it could use a bit of reorganizing to be more efficient. Until I have time to do that it serves my needs.

Detail Sheet:

post-65-0-69327300-1397733418_thumb.jpg

Main CAD Detail:

post-65-0-35835100-1397733431_thumb.jpg

Secondary CAD Detail:

post-65-0-13585600-1397733444_thumb.jpg

Storing your details in a user library as CAD blocks works well. It uses less memory and compute resources than other methods. You can also leverage the library searching capabilities. Editing these details requires exploding the block.

Storing your details in a plan, or layout file is another option that has been used by many for years and at some point in time was a better option because details could not be stored in the library. It uses more compute resources because every detail in a plan is loaded into memory when the file is opened. Searching is somewhat less good, but if you have a relatively small number of details this is not a big deal. They can be slightly easier to manage and edit if they are stored as CAD Details instead of blocks. Referencing details from multiple plans using this method can result in unexpected changes to another layout so one needs to be careful if you are editing a detail for one layout that is used in another. But on the other hand if you need to correct a detail for all layouts that use it, this is much more efficient.

• Upvote 1

Doug,

The advantages / benefits of using Plan Files (located in a common folder) with CAD Details:

1. Universal updates to all Layouts when the CAD Detail is edited.

2. Ease of editing - not having to retrieve from the Library, unblock, edit, block, put back in Library - then update all affected Layouts.

3. Discrete set of Plan Files can act just like folders in the Library

4. Named CAD Details automatically name Details in the Layout using %view.name% macro

5. New details can be quickly created by copying existing details to a new CAD Detail and modifying that.

6. The details in the Layout are dynamic and provide for quick navigation to the CAD Detail in the Plan File(s)

IMO, there are so many of the above that are just the opposite when using the Library method that I simply don't use the Library for CAD objects except those that are discrete and work well as Blocks, just needing to be placed and maybe resized and/or rotated.

For any detail that's totally unique to a particular project I create a CAD Detail in that Plan File itself.  This also serves as a source for similar details in other projects.  Generally those are Wall Sections @ 1/2" scale rather than larger scale details.

I sometimes use the CAD Block Details tin the Library which Chief provides as a starting point for a Detail but I'm putting the finished Detail in a CAD Block just so I can take advantage of the benefits listed above.

• Upvote 1

1. Universal updates to all Layouts when the CAD Detail is edited.

there can be a downside in making a change to a layout for a project that

was completed and "closed"

if the layout is viewed again after the change it would not be the same as

when filed, approved, closed

this could lead to confusion and/or mistakes

perhaps each detail should have a revision date

even then one would have to notice the newer date

Lew

Lew,

I only use such details for those things that need to be revised and should be revised based on the latest practices.  I always keep a set of as built plans for reference (prints) but any time I'm doing a new project based on an older set of plans - then I want the latest details according to current codes and practice.

This sort of thing is something that I as a user am resposible for.

Storing your details in a user library as CAD blocks works well. It uses less memory and compute resources than other methods. You can also leverage the library searching capabilities. Editing these details requires exploding the block.

Storing your details in a plan, or layout file is another option that has been used by many for years and at some point in time was a better option because details could not be stored in the library. It uses more compute resources because every detail in a plan is loaded into memory when the file is opened. Searching is somewhat less good, but if you have a relatively small number of details this is not a big deal. They can be slightly easier to manage and edit if they are stored as CAD Details instead of blocks. Referencing details from multiple plans using this method can result in unexpected changes to another layout so one needs to be careful if you are editing a detail for one layout that is used in another. But on the other hand if you need to correct a detail for all layouts that use it, this is much more efficient.

Doug,

Storing is an area that should be investigated. I have trouble because I forget that a detail is not in the layout folder. I for one keep hoping that dbx or something will be worked out to help us with this.

Ron

Great thread. Always re-thinking detail management and am using separate plan, different floors but the different floors serves no real purpose in my system. Just spreads things out too much. Love the idea of a separate detail plan for Foundation, Windows etc. but don't manage my Layouts well enough to keep those detail plans up to date and that looks like what I'm going to change. Managing Layout is as important as any aspect in CA, associating files etc. and that's my weakest and hence most time consuming task in CA. Again great thread and thanks for the ideas.

• Upvote 1

Great thread. Always re-thinking detail management and am using separate plan, different floors but the different floors serves no real purpose in my system. Just spreads things out too much. Love the idea of a separate detail plan for Foundation, Windows etc. but don't manage my Layouts well enough to keep those detail plans up to date and that looks like what I'm going to change. Managing Layout is as important as any aspect in CA, associating files etc. and that's my weakest and hence most time consuming task in CA. Again great thread and thanks for the ideas.

Larry,

Right on. In my case even thought I've had Chief since version 4, I've always used VCAD to finish my projects. I'm slowly trying to more and more in chief and with the complexity of the program these days it is difficult. These discussions are a great help for all. Thanks for your input. Joe is a visionary and from what DSH says a great golfer.

Ron

I store all of my generic details in a seperate plan, then I copy and paste the needed details into a  CAD Detail of the plan I am working. From there I first edit then organize the details to how I would like them to appear on my layout, then I send to layout. This way My details are always associated to one plan, I do as little redrawing as possible, I only have one link on my layout to my details.

I store all of my generic details in a seperate plan, then I copy and paste the needed details into a  CAD Detail of the plan I am working. From there I first edit then organize the details to how I would like them to appear on my layout, then I send to layout. This way My details are always associated to one plan, I do as little redrawing as possible, I only have one link on my layout to my details.

Not sure why you wouldn't rename your detail file and send that to layout in lieu of putting details into plan. This way you have kept your plan file smaller.