Solid Union

johnny

I was watching a tutorial on CA and solids, and for some reason I can't duplicate the process in the video of forming a "union" between multiple solid objects (not touching). The video has a note that newer versions of CA has a different process, but I can't seem to find it.

I'd like to have multiple primitive solids as a single "object/shape" but not touching. An architectural block doesn't work - since I need to be able to interact with the shapes as a single 3d shape. Extracting other shapes from it.

Thanks!

How could you create a union of shapes that don't intersect each other?

From the CA X7 manual in reference to creating a Union:

"If the original objects do not overlap, they

will either not produce a new object or will
be duplicated on top of themselves."

So you want multiple shapes blocked to be one object, but then each shape within the block interacts individually with other shapes?...

Yeah, I have a couple uses for this feature - but I don't expect to then be able to individually control the sub-items on their own without "un-blocking/grouping".   Mostly I would want to have all items of the block influenced by a "cut" solid like the video shows.

New here have not got to CA grouping tools yet but other old software I have run we would "nest" a symbol, block, group etc meaning for example make a symbol out of a symbol or block then try and perform the boolean operations? 

Boolean operations (union, subtract, etc) are old news now due to limitations and they are time consuming been replaced with constrained planer sketches of CAD lines, etc, that are extruded along a control line, polyline, surface, etc....like CATIA that is not object based but more primitive or poly solid product based....   I could do what the guy in the vid did in one operation, copy and create a instance that creates a linked parent_child relationship.

Perhaps the best answer is do the operations outside CA in better 3D solid software and import into a symbol or block. 

And I think this is the answer to your question...located at 9:05 in the video.

hummm....so if I am reading that correct its basically saying you need to apply to each separate primitive solid - so they've removed the feature altogether from CA.

Well I guess that answers that.