Second floor offset from first floor?

DBR_Builders

I have an existing house where the second floor is wider than the first floor (see attached drawing).  How do I get a room definition for the second floor?  I tried using a 0 pitch roof plane between the floors and that allowed me to set a room definition for the 2nd floor.  But now it will not allow me to change the ceiling heights on either floor and gives me the message "Ceiling values may not be changed as the floor above this room has varying heights".

The roof over the deck is the addition and I can't set the correct ceiling height without fixing the other issue.

Thank you!

existing house sketch.pdf

Offset floor issue.pdf

The plan is now attached -

I'm not sure if some of you understood the question.  The second floor of the house extends 20" - 24" past the first floor walls.  All of the walls are in the correct location in the plan.  I am trying to give the second floor a room definition so I can add the roof over the deck on the first floor and set the correct ceiling height.  I do have a general understanding of how rooms work, but have never had to draw something like this, and can not find anything in the Chief knowledge base regarding this.

Not sure what you mean by cantilever each wall.

Thanks for any assistance!

Shaeffer deck roof addition 15.11.12.plan

It's always best to wait for the smart guys/gals to post their answers but here's an exercise in one way to go about changing things. The vid starts with no sound but then kicks in.

I have NO idea what caused the behavior you are about to see but then again perhaps the smart folks will chime in and help us both understand what happened and why.

https://youtu.be/k9MkeWb8S8I

I don't know what exactly you are trying to draw, but I personally see no reason for the extra room definitions at the cantilever areas.  It looks like you've purposely created those "rooms" using invisible walls, extra ceiling planes, etc. which is causing your problems and I don't see why it was necessary. 

Eric's solution might work for you, but I would encourage you to reconsider the way you drew the plan in the first place.  I would have essentially...

1.  Drawn first floor walls and deck

2.  Built second floor and just dragged the exterior walls out for the cantilever area (no extra rooms or ceiling planes)

3.  Drawn the roofs.

Unless you have some other reason for doing things the way you did, I tend to think you may have just over-complicated it a bit.

So...

Those who said to lose the invisible walls are correct.  You only need invisible walls aligning over walls below when they are at a change in floor height.  You don't have that.

I don't understand the roof over the 2nd floor deck.  Is that second floor deck supposed to be a covered porch?  Or is that roof plane supposed to be under the deck?

I don't understand the extra ceiling planes.  What is that supposed to accomplish?

post-2715-0-92126600-1447467877_thumb.png

So...

Those who said to lose the invisible walls are correct.  You only need invisible walls aligning over walls below when they are at a change in floor height.  You don't have that.

I don't understand the roof over the 2nd floor deck.  Is that second floor deck supposed to be a covered porch?  Or is that roof plane supposed to be under the deck?

I don't understand the extra ceiling planes.  What is that supposed to accomplish?

I think Michael (Alaskan Son) is steering you correctly.  It appears you're adding parts and pieces that are not necessary.