Polyline Driveways For Exterior Slabs

HumbleChief

I'm usually a bit late to these parties so hope this isn't old news but I just tried something new with Poly Line Driveways.

I've always just drawn in my concrete slabs using the slab tool and adjusting to taste. Usually 4" - 6" thick so they'll drop below any terrain, and heights at 3" - 5" below finished floor to provide for a step down from F.F. and depending on grade etc. Sometimes it takes a little fiddling to get them at the right height and if the terrain changes then the heights of each slab has to be changed.

Today I drew those slabs with the poly line driveway tool and it worked great. Each slab (driveway) automatically sits about an inch above grade. The heights at the doorways can be adjusted by the terrain height. Very flexible as they are really just poly line solids that sit on the terrain. Pretty cool.

They will only work for concrete slabs 'on grade' but it's fast, flexible and automatically adjust to the correct height with the terrain settings. Nice.

(Side note) PLine driveways won't cut curbs in roads but straight driveways will - just an FYI)

Larry,

Maybe it doesn't matter to you, but driveways have their own layer and defaults.

Sidewalks are another option, but they also have their own layer and defaults.

Depending on use, this can cause other problems.

The real fix would be for CA to fix it so that slab heights could be relative to the terrain.  Maybe they'll fix that in X8 

Also it's notable that Driveways and Sidewalks only have a thickness that matches their "height"  This prevents a custom Text Macro from using the thickness as a part of the Label.  Note that Chief's Object Specific Macro for a Driveway or Sidewalk doesn't include "thickness" while a custom macro could.

Also it's notable that Driveways and Sidewalks only have a thickness that matches their "height"  This prevents a custom Text Macro from using the thickness as a part of the Label.  Note that Chief's Object Specific Macro for a Driveway or Sidewalk doesn't include "thickness" while a custom macro could.

Yep,  and just a comment,  for whatever reason,  I got into the habit of creating sidewalks and driveways out of PLINES and then converting to a sidewalk and putting them ON A UNIQUE LAYER.

The advantage of putting them on their own layer is if I want to move P.L. relative to house,  I want the  STREET to follow the P.L.,  but I don't want sidewalks that are located relative to house,  to move......  I know,  kind of complicated,  but it works for me.......  

point is,  however I create my SIDEWALKS RELATIVE TO HOUSE,  I will want them on their own unique layer,  not on the default road/sidewalk layer.......  don't we all kind of get into some funky work methods?

Yep,  and just a comment,  for whatever reason,  I got into the habit of creating sidewalks and driveways out of PLINES and then converting to a sidewalk and putting them ON A UNIQUE LAYER.

The advantage of putting them on their own layer is if I want to move P.L. relative to house,  I want the  STREET to follow the P.L.,  but I don't want sidewalks that are located relative to house,  to move......  I know,  kind of complicated,  but it works for me.......  

point is,  however I create my SIDEWALKS RELATIVE TO HOUSE,  I will want them on their own unique layer,  not on the default road/sidewalk layer.......  don't we all kind of get into some funky work methods?

And some people thing Chief's system is complicated..........

Scott takes it to entirely new level of complication.  15000 annosets and layersets.....;)  In this case just for the purpose of moving the PL, Roads and Sidewalks.  I'd just use Shift/Select or change the Marque Selection in Preferences. 

And some people thing Chief's system is complicated..........

Scott takes it to entirely new level of complication.  15000 annosets and layersets..... ;)  In this case just for the purpose of moving the PL, Roads and Sidewalks.  I'd just use Shift/Select or change the Marque Selection in Preferences. 

Interesting,  can you only select the road in the street,  the driveway,  ignore the sidewalks and patio slab that is relative to the house,  select the dimensitions for set backs but not those for the house,  not select the box that represents the house,  not select the text that calls out the text for house but do select the text that lists the p.l. length,  select the fence at p.l. but not select the pool and fence that surround just the  pool........

I suppose most users can do this,  I can't,  therefore I have an anno/layer set that locks the appropriate layers so I can do a marquee select.