Material Direction Control for Soffits and Eaves

evergreen

Can this control be had?

Disregard the ceiling direction, that is the way I want it, but the soffit isn't correct (at least not the way I install them)

The soffits and eaves change together, so you always have one correct but not the other...arrrg!

post-82-0-36451100-1446911875_thumb.jpg

Can this control be had?

Disregard the ceiling direction, that is the way I want it, but the soffit isn't correct (at least not the way I install them)

The soffits and eaves change together, so you always have one correct but not the other...arrrg!

Great comment.  I spoke with the guys at the last UGM about this.

What you are talking about is the direction of the starter boards at eave is different than the direction of the starter boards at gable ends.

Let's take it a step further,  we put  plywood on the roof and then starter boards at eaves and gables with the direction of the starter boards at eaves and gable ends going in different directions.  So,  for me,  I need 3 materials for the roof.....  I am  stuck with only one,  I use the starter boards at the eave to get the correct 3d look at eave,  I have given up on the correct look at gable ends.....  not a killer problem for me,  but if we are still seeking accurate material lists,  how can we get this at CA's current state?

I spoke with them in August about this,  I do not know when they will get around to fixing this.

Thanks Mike for bringing this up,  the more users who comment on this,  the higher up in their priority list this will go.

There are a number of ways to get what you're looking for but what comes to mind first is to just create 2 separate roof planes.

Hmmm...on second thought I guess it would need 3 separate roof planes.  Maybe that's not a very good idea.  Maybe a roof/ceiling plane, p-solid, or slab about 1/8" thick placed just below the soffit would be a better option.

You should probably post this in the suggestion forum.  I think its a good one. 

Agreed.  IT needs fixing. It is a BUG!

I don't think I would go that far, its not like the program is doing anything wrong...Which direction the material should be is totally subjective.   It would be nice to have independent material control over the 2 different areas though.  

Scott -  I'm glad to hear you brought this up...yes it is a minor issue, but CA is about detail. I'm sure their list of things to address is a long one, but that's a good thing, it keeps me coming back for more.

Michael - thank you for your suggestions for a work around...and I will post this in suggestions as well.

Depending on your situation, you may be able to use a very thin Frieze or Shadow Board. 

They both have the option to apply to either the eave or gable only.  

We must have soffit to get a frieze,  I do not want a soft.

Have not tried shadow board,  but it seems like a lot of work that I do not want to do.  If I really need this for 3D,  I will look into a shadow board that will probably need to be offset in both x & y direction....  and the  perfect size to  match the eave..  an option with a lot of work.....