How to build drop-in tub surround?

Quieve

Cut a hole on the countertop... In the plan view use Rectangular PLine outline the tub, select and use convert tool to countertop and select Hole in Countertop and you be all set.

I'm not sure I understand your instructions... I draw a rectangular polyline inside the cabinet about the size of the tub, then convert it to countertop hole. But there's no hole appearing in the countertop. What am I doing wrong?

Ok never mind, figured it out. You have to modify the base cabinet by deleting everything inside it, and then creating a blank side area...

I don't know what the CA designers were thinking... "Let's turn a simple one-click function into a 5-minute rocket science affair!". Because apparently all the CA users were complaining how easy it was to place a tub into a cabinet and they all requested making it a lot more challenging, conunterintuitive and time consuming.

Really don't understand you guys... :(

• Upvote 1

Open the Tub "Symbol dbx"  and in Options check "Inserts in Countertop".  That makes the hole automatic.  You will still have to make the cabinet "empty" or just use a countertop sitting on a wall surround.

If you want to skip the process of making the cabinet empty - just use a custom countertop about 14-15" thick (no cabinet) with the bottom of the countertop sitting on the floor. ;)

There are Tubs in the Library that already work this way.

Now I understand Kemo Sabe.

Hey Joe,  where were you 10  years ago?

Cut a hole on the countertop... In the plan view use Rectangular PLine outline the tub, select and use convert tool to countertop and select Hole in Countertop and you be all set.

Yep,   that is  what I have always done,  try JC's method,  much simpler.

Open the Tub "Symbol dbx"  and in Options check "Inserts in Countertop".  That makes the hole automatic.  You will still have to make the cabinet "empty" or just use a countertop sitting on a wall surround.

If you want to skip the process of making the cabinet empty - just use a custom countertop about 14-15" thick (no cabinet) with the bottom of the countertop sitting on the floor. ;)

There are Tubs in the Library that already work this way.

Thanks. This is the best method. I don't understand why on earth the tubs in the library don't have this option pre-checked. Weird ommission.